Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New (to me) Springer .40 1911

zipper046

Hey all,

Just wanted to share. Picked up this Springfield 1991-A1 in .40S&W from another forum. It only had 150 rounds through it and came with two (2) eight round mag's and I bought 4 Wilson 47FX 9 rounders, 4 Metalform 10 rounders, and 1 Chip McCormick 10mm 9 rounder.

When I got it, I immediately went to my Police Dept range (I'm PoPo in CT). We run 125gr Frangible ammo in the range so I ran it with that. PROBLEMS! Had Failure to Feeds of the first round on all the mags! Accuracy was OK..shot a bit right. Drifted the rear sight and got the accuracy somewhat dialed in (you lose some accuracy with the 125gr frangible ammo).

So I went home and thought "damn, this could be a costly piece". But, I hunkered down and listed what I needed to do...starting with a good cleaning and polishing the feed ramp.

I detail stripped, cleaned and lubed the heck out of the gun. Next I used some 600 grit, then 800 grit sandpaper on a small dowel and going up and down the ramp (in the direction the rounds feed) I GENTLY polished. I then used a Dremel felt wheel with SimiChrome polish (again in the direction the rounds feed) until the feed ramp looked like a mirror.

NO METAL was removed...only lightly polished.

I went to my local Gun Club range with all my mag's INCLUDING a Wilson .45acp 8 rounder and a few hundred rounds of FACTORY ammo and some reloads. The gun ran FLAWLESS with each magazine. I only had 2 FTF from my reloads (didn't chamber, but went up the ramp...was "glocked" brass). I even ran rounds out of the Wilson .45acp magazine!

Now the ONLY problem I have seen is that sometimes the magazines WON'T lock the slide back after the last round. This is not a huge problem, as this will be a single stack, L10 gun, but still a small problem.

Will work on this issue next after some research.

Just wanted to share with y'all.

Any other Springer .40 owners out there have suggestions for other Mag's???

PS: I used to run Glocks, and still do. I mention this because the 1911 shoots low for me...I think due to my comfort with the Glock grip angle...

post-13392-0-27614500-1359770257_thumb.j

post-13392-0-35193400-1359770270_thumb.j

I have been running TRIPP 45ACP 8 rounders (holds 9 40's), Wilson 47Ds and ETMs as well as CMC Power 8s. All are flawless. I also have some Wilson 47NXs.

Thanks Jammer. I ran one of my Wilson 47D's and it ran flawless (wish I knew this before I bought all the .40 mags!). I'll probably order a TRIPP and a few CMC's and see how they do.

Just bought the Tripp Corey/system mags for my springer ill update when I get them.

Thanks Jonb. Good to hear others' experiences with mag suppliers. I'll probably pick up a couple Tripp 10mm mag's...my CMC 10mm ran great so will have to see how the Tripp's do. I'll keep my .45 mag's as backup's.

Just to throw out another idea......if you are going to shoot factory length 40 calibers (1.135 or shorter) you may want to try the Tripp 40 caliber mags instead of the 10mms. I have both for my STI Trojan 40 and prefer the 40 calibers if I am shooting 1.135 length rounds.