Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My homemade riflestock

Scooter

My ongoing project is now done. If any of you have shot a scoped M1A, you will realize that you can get a good check weld. So my solution to that is to build my own stock with an adjustable comb piece and might as well add a Tubb adjustable buttplate. I also decided to make a California legal pistol grip. The stock is made of fiberglass, carbon fiber, aluminum, glass beads, and expoy. Inletting is a pain in the butt. The stock weighs as much as a wood NM stock (2.5 lbs), but the addition of the Tubb adjustable buttplate added another 2 lbs. It was definitely a good learning experience.

DSCN45741.jpg

Let see, I not going to count labor because that was a lot since this was my first attempt, actually first sucessful attempt. I think I put in about $200 worth of fiberglass materials and another $115 for the Tubb adjustable buttplate.

If I was to do it again, I would make my molds better. I would also mold in the inletting. That part was the hardest to get right.

Ergonomically, it's a perfect fit for me, besides the fact that the rifle is freakin heavy (13.5 lbs). The grip is very comfortable and the check rest is right where it needs to be to shoot with a scope.