Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 for Burris Tac30

Heshin

I'm looking for some help on loads to replicate the drop in the Burris Tac30, here is what I have to work with.

Bullets:

Hornady 55gr fmjbt w/c

Nosler 69gr custom competition

Powder:

H335

Varget

TAC

I hear a lot of people getting good results from 24.5-25 of H335 with the 55gr but do they match the reticle, or is there a sight in distance variation that makes things line up?

Doesnt work that way. WAAAY too many variables.

Pick a load that works in your rifle. Load a bunch of it. Then go to the range and figure out where that load "patterns" relative to your reticle.

wgj3 has it right. You can plug in ballistic coefficients (BC) and velocities into ballistic calculators and match it to your reticle but until you verify it, it's just an educated guess.

That said, an educated guess can be better than nothing. I've used Sierras Ballistics Infinity software to calculate what ranges the Burris reticle matches up at for my load. I shoot the 55gr Hornady FMJ bullets under 25.0gr H335 for my close in, less than 200yd ammo. Any stage that runs past that I use a load I've developed with the 53gr Hornady V-max at 3150fps using H335. With that velocity, and high BC, this bullet is acually flatter shooting than the SS109 ammo that the Burris reticle is calibrated to. For instance, with a 100yd zero in the Burris reticle, the 300 yard dot is dead on at 315 yards, the 400 is dead on at 415 yards... I used these calculations to hit Larue targets at the 2012 USPSA Multigun nationals but other than that I didn't verify the zero past 200 yards.

My advice would be to find a load that your rifle likes (shoots accurately) and then figure out where the ballistic reticle dots cross the bullet path using ballistic software (JBM online is free), THEN go out to the range and verify it at as far a range as you can find.

ballistic_cqreticle_dia.jpg

Thanks guys, that makes perfect sense. I have loaded up some test loads from 24-25 of h335 for the 55gr. I will test over a chrono then see where the most accurate crosses those MOA marks using JBM, then test that data out on the range.

Try the istrelok app it will give you the sight picture of the reticle with any combo of bullets at any velocity.

Ok, downloaded it and that's a cool app! Can't wait to test it out!

Try the istrelok app it will give you the sight picture of the reticle with any combo of bullets at any velocity.

Oh wow, that's cool. I was doing all that by hand. Definitely worth the $5.

Any idea what the temperature sensitivity factor would be? Or how to calculate it? Or get it from manufacturers? I'm interested in it for H335 specifically if anyone knows.