Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

syrac ordnance Gas block on jp rifle?

RickeyT

I like being able to adjust the gas. Then again, I'm someone who can't stand to leave nearly anything stock, car, motorcycle, airplane, boat, you name it and i like to try and soup it up to see if I can make it run better. IMO, manufacturing anything is an exercise in compromise, so, usually you can take some of the compromise out, and make it run even better than stock. I use to have this VMax... never mind. :surprise:

I believe jp also makes a Syrac style gas block, i.e., with detent to prevent accidental change of adjustment. MarkCo has said he likes the Syrac, he is one of several people on this board who are absolute experts in the AR platform. Quite honestly, if that guy likes it, I'd have to go with his recommendation.

The other gas block that I'm interested in, but haven't been able to see yet is the new Colt gas block that adjusts without tools, it also has a detent I believe. I think if this is a really good design, Syrac will likely come out with something similar. I can see where being able to adjust by hand could be good, even if it was only handy one time, that one time could save you a stage. Of course, like any other adjustable item, somebody is going to twist it the wrong way just before a stage and cost them... You can't prevent people from making mistakes, it comes with being human. :goof:

Nice thing about this is, you can always try something different if you decide you don't like it. Few decision in one of these builds are final, and many competitors rifles and equipment for that matter, are in a constant state of evolution. The one caveat with that is, try to never change anything big the day/night before a competition... it so often will come back to bite you... just like Murphy said it would.

Tar

I try to achieve perfection as well.. Well at least what I think perfect is.... ;> You are right jp and syrac went in together to design a detent locking gas block. I read the description again and it says that it locks every 1/4 of a turn. Do you think a standard gas block would be a little better in that field since you can tun it exactly how far you want it closed or open....? Or is it really that sensitive?

Jason, the owner of Syrac, designed and produced his gasblock, not JP! The fact that JP sells them means John recognized a great design he wanted to offer his customers. Kudos to JP for not stealing the design which others are prone to do.

Yes mark you are right.

I read the description again and it says that it locks every 1/4 of a turn. Do you think a standard gas block would be a little better in that field since you can tun it exactly how far you want it closed or open....? Or is it really that sensitive?

A 1/4 turn on an 8-32 screw is less than .008" of travel. Most times you'll establish a minimum setting for lock back and then add at least a 1/4 turn if not a 1/2 to assure reliability. The peace of mind about not losing adjustment would far outweigh infinite adjustment for me. YMMV