Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Threat Vector by Tom Clancy

mjs408

Just finished reading this a few nights ago. Its a good story about events that are not all that far-fetched (He seems really good at telling the future at times) I really enjoy Tom Clancy as an author, and I do like reading the new ones that he is putting together with co-authors about Jack Jr. and The Campus. But it seems to me that his books lack the depth in the story that his earlier books contained. Am I imagining this? I suppose its not all that suprising he published The Hunt for Red October when I was 2, and thats a long time writing books. Anybody else think that Adam Yao will become a part of the campus staff in the next saga? Im going to guess yes.

I stopped reading his books when he started getting other people to write them. Same with Robert Ludlum. All they're doing is "editing" and selling books off their name. Even worse is Ludlum's name going on books post-mortem.

I stopped reading his books when he started getting other people to write them. Same with Robert Ludlum. All they're doing is "editing" and selling books off their name. Even worse is Ludlum's name going on books post-mortem.

Fwiw. Bob Ludlum had several book ideas sketched out prior to his death. Characters, plot, and syntax were all laid out in draft.

All the current "authors" are doing is fleshing out the story and finishing the books.

Bob's trouble was his self admitted imagination. He could no more start an idea and another separate plot would jump into his head.

IIRC the 'covert one' series was concieved just after the first Bourne novel.

I still enjoy reading Ludlum books, but have lost a taste for Tom Clancy, as his content is starting to rehash rather than reinvent or be revolutionary.

Edited by Got Juice?

The last Clancy book I read was Red Rabbit, and I felt like it and one or two before it weren't up to his earlier work. Maybe it was the times. By 2002, reading about the soviet threat had kind of lost it's charm.

Fwiw. Bob Ludlum had several book ideas sketched out prior to his death. Characters, plot, and syntax were all laid out in draft.

All the current "authors" are doing is fleshing out the story and finishing the books.

Bob's trouble was his self admitted imagination. He could no more start an idea and another separate plot would jump into his head.

I still enjoy reading Ludlum books, but have lost a taste for Tom Clancy, as his content is starting to rehash rather than reinvent or be revolutionary.

You can have the characters, plot, and syntax laid out and have three different writers write the story and have each one come out differently. It's the writers style that makes him or her unique and draws the reader to the books. Maybe I'm just sensitive to these things having been an avid reader since I was very young child and a writer myself. I would definitely buy the latest Tom Clancy novel if he wrote it himself.

You can have the characters, plot, and syntax laid out and have three different writers write the story and have each one come out differently. It's the writers style that makes him or her unique and draws the reader to the books. Maybe I'm just sensitive to these things having been an avid reader since I was very young child and a writer myself. I would definitely buy the latest Tom Clancy novel if he wrote it himself.

I agree. :)

I was unaware that when a big time author has a co-writer he/she becoming the editor. I guess it makes sense, fame sells even if the product is sub-par, which is has been in the last 2-3 clancy books.

• 6 months later...