Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P16-40 Limited and Wolff firing pin springs

dixondave

When I changed recoil springs in my Para 16-40 Limited I also used the firing pin spring that comes with all Wolff recoil springs, whew was that a mistake. Immediately started experienced light hits and many failure to ignite misfires. The Wolff firing pin spring is longer and stiffer than the stock Para spring. Tried using new 23 lb Wolff mainspring hoping a little harder hit would help, new mainspring did not help. Put in a new stock Para spring and gun now runs like a clock. Just a warning to all 16-40 Limited owners, aftermarket firing pin springs may not work!

the reason they included a firing pin spring is that typically a spring life is about 3 to 5k... so when you replace the recoil spring they recommend to replace the firing pin spring too....do you have a series 80 system in your gun? I always replace my recoil and firing pin springs before my first range session and 3 to 5k afterwards...both my Limited got fresh springs. they run flawless...even replaced my main spring with 15 for minor and 17 for major loads...my DP extended pins are my backup and always in my shooting bag.

Edited by fishpinoy27

fishpinoy27,

I removed the series 80 components and installed a spacer a while ago and all has gone well until I had fitted a new Barsto Barrel. Incredible accuracy but at the cost of having a very tight chamber. Only about 95% of them pass the drop test. The 23 lb. mainspring and new Para firing spring seem to have cured the problem except that I would prefer to a run a lighter mainspring for a little lighter trigger pull. Right now with the 23 lb spring my pull is 3.5 lbs. I put a 17 lb spring and got a trigger pull of 2.7 lbs but when I tested it this weekend the light primer strikes returned!!!! :(

Roy

Thank you for the reply I would like to try an extended foring pin for my 16-40. Did you use the Dawson Precision 026-1025 DP 1911 HiCap 38 Super, 40 S&W, 9mm Extended Firing Pin.

Yes, get the 9/40 DP extended firing pin. Also, is the firing pin hitting center on the primer since the barrel install?

• 2 weeks later...