Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 press and Station One Locator problem

So I decided to take apart my XL650 for a good cleaning & lube to get ready for the new shooting year & after reassembling, everything worked except for an issue with the Station One Locator. Trying calling Dillion today but just kept getting a busy signal so I thought I'd see if anyone here could help. I assume something is just out of alignment but I can't figure out what it is.

As you can see in the pics, as I start to pull the handle down, after about 1/3 of the way down the station one locator left end pops up & then binds against the shellplate as I complete the downstroke & the shellplate starts to go back down. Anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

Thx.

post-32005-0-12857800-1356661397_thumb.j

post-32005-0-32987100-1356661408_thumb.j

Firstly, when you cleaned the station 1 locator and rail underneath prior to reassembly did you grease it as required? Secondly the station one locator moves forward and retreats on the up and downstroke of the handle. The adjustment for moving a empty case into the shellpate fully is dependent on having a primed case in the second station.

In the instructions I downloaded for lubing the 650 it was the only part which said to "heavily grease" so I did make sure to put enough grease on it. Didn't realize the station 1 locator moved back & forth so it's possible something is keeping it from moving like it should ... Not sure I understand your last comment about the empty case into the shellplate?

Sure appears that the case feeder (aluminum thingy) is elevated and the only way that could happen is if there is something preventing it from seating properly. I had a similar thing happen when I changed calibers, but I simply placed the aluminum thingy in backwards.

In the instructions I downloaded for lubing the 650 it was the only part which said to "heavily grease" so I did make sure to put enough grease on it.

That part is suppose to be greased? It's been a really long time since I read the instructions. Anyway, are you sure the spent primers haven't got caught in the grease and are pushing up on the locator?

In the instructions I downloaded for lubing the 650 it was the only part which said to "heavily grease" so I did make sure to put enough grease on it. Didn't realize the station 1 locator moved back & forth so it's possible something is keeping it from moving like it should ... Not sure I understand your last comment about the empty case into the shellplate?

Looks like you may have over did the grease, I would take it off. Wipe off the excess with a Q-Tip and reinstall. "Heavily greased should be considered a thin complete layer spread evenly where the locator still sits flat and rides back and forth on the rails.