Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RangeJunkies Practice Log

RangeJunkie

Finally, a day back practicing!

Loaded up some major and went out to shoot! Went through about 40-50 rounds and I believe Ive made my load to hot, the dot and hand felt good but the brass was telling a different story.

Tomorrow I'll be going to a friend to Chrono some lower grain major loads to see where they are before I put anymore of my existing back through the gun.

Great news is my rig and mag extensions came in and I adjusted and fitted those tonight.

Tuned my followers as per Dave Dawsons video and I believe once the strings stretch my 140s will have 23 in the mag.

Really productive and fun night.

After the sun went down slowly (without timer) started working on draws and reloads. I didn't want to use the timer to force in bad habits from switching from my old 2011 to this beast.

Really happy with the quick progress and looking forward to my first match this weekend at Miamisburg. It's a classifier match and it's indoor which should be fun.

Note: switched out my cmore diode to a 6moa and I'm starting to wonder if I want to go back to an 8moa. We will see.

Looking forward to this!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea on the major pf. I never switch. Ever. My open gun likes one load and that's what she gets.

I ran a 6 moa diode for years. Went to an 8 moa and really love it. But, you got that secret ingredient called youth, so your eyes are probably better than mine, lol. I find the 8 moa is easier for me in these bright Indiana bays. Think Atlanta and Ft. Wayne. I would get some sun wash out with a 6 moa.

Edited by Chris iliff

Tonight was very productive.

My target is a 4x4 square about 17 yards away inside my house.

Spent about 20 minutes on draws from low ready and hands about shoulders and started out with a 1 sec par time. Felt pretty comfortable and by the end I was back down to around .7 like I was with my STI.

After that, I started working on moving and drawing, worked forward, right and then left. All feel much better and Im starting to noticed improvement there.

Next on the agenda were reloads, I use to do "burkette" reloads A LOT. I use to have those down to about .6 without issue. I found after time that I could get the mag there quick but had issues requiring my target.

Since then, when the buzzer goes off I drop the mag, and by time the par is over I'll have dry fired back on target. I feel like it gives me a more real world practice.

First worked those down to about .9 without to much issue and started to add movement into them.

I've noticed I really have to work on getting out of positions, my body language is good coming into zones but I need to explode out more. I'll practice this.

Next I did some SH WH drills @ 17yrds same target, I was around 1.3 SH and 1.5 weak, these need serious improvement.

After I worked those about 20 times each I decided I was going to set up a mini stage in the house. Heck, the girlfriend is gone and I'm alone so I can do what I want :)

My targets consisted of candles throughout the entire house. Came out to be about 10 surprisingly lol. And I didn't have to move anything.

I ran that probably 30 times working on moving in and out of positions with large target transfers.

By the end of the night I felt good and content knowing I'm back in the routine.

I'm ready to take on this season

My load will be a 124 MG w/7.0 (to start with) of AC @ 1.150" for major

This is the load you posted which is correct using AC and should give you around 173pf in the carver gun to make the big sjc comp work. I only reload the brass 3 times then let it lay. I would still crono it, all guns are a bit different but anything under 170 most likely wont give you enough gas.

Cool, I appreciate it.

I went out to Chrono it tonight and for some reason my friends Chrono wasnt working. He said he will be looking at it this week and we will try to get it back up by the weekend.

Thanks for your input, I look forward to seeing the results!

The 13th was my dads birthday; so I didn't accomplish much that day.

Today was pretty productive, made my ammo for the classifier match this weekend.

Also just switched primers after finishing my match ammo, going to try those out tomorrow or Saturday.

Pretty excited for the match, only worried about getting more bullets as of now.

Started tonight with some draw dryfire, about 15 yrds to the aforementioned 4x4" square.

Relaxed at sides, started at .9 and repeated those about 5x then bumped up the speed. Ran at .8 for about 15x theme cranked it to .7. That is about my limit right now at relaxed at sides.

Next, worked then from hands over head. Started at 1.0 even for 10x then worked .9 for 20x just to really feel the tempo of it. Finishing this off I went down to .8 and that's my max on this as of now.

Next I worked on strong hand draw, and I think that showed a lot of improvement. Started out at 1.0 sec thinking I'd struggle and surprisingly it flowed well, couldn't break the sub 1 sec mark but I'll take that for now.

Weak hand was consistently at 1.2, and I just kept these par times to slowly work these practices into habit.

Finally with draws I worked on walking forward after the buzzer. I felt pretty comfortable at .8 while moving forward.

Next I worked on reloads. From dot on target to finishing back on target I started at 1 sec. Felt really comfortable and decided to drop down to .8 almost off the bat. Ran that about 15x and dropped it to .7 and ran those the same amount approximately.

Finishing up the night I just worked on making the mag flow into the magwell smoothly. It turned out well, at times it going so fast I smashed my pinky finger between the base pad and mag well.

Ouch.

Decent night tonight, live fire earlier about 100 rounds.

Worked on transitions, draws (surrender and relaxed) And a couple reloads.

After dinner with the gf and her family went back into the reloading room and make another 100rds and cleaned the CC g17 for tomorrows first match of the year.

Dryfired for about 20 minutes, just to relax and get ready for tomorrow.

Ended up changing back to the 8moa bc the 6 seemed small in the daylight, as Chris said it might. Oh well, it was worth a try for me.

Anyways, bags is packed and ready for the early morning tomorrow. Got a 3 hour drive in the morning to get to the match, but I look forward to my first indoor match.

Let's go 2013! Time to get the season started!

My butt hurts. Rough day at the range, gun ran 100% but I had issue after issue.

I need a lot more practice, I will put the time in though.

I'm going to start looking at lessons I think.

I met Chris Keen and that was probably the highlight of the day, he is a really talented shooter. One day I hope to be as fast as him.

Today was an eye opener, I need more live fire practice but have to save bullets. Ugh.

Took a couple days away from the old rig to clear my mind up on some things.

I've decided I kinda hope I stay in B class this year. I'm not going to prevent myself from going to A by sandbagging, but I'm not going to drive myself into the ground by attempting it.

Did dryfire tonight and it's really starting to come along. The ergos of the new blaster is starting to feel more at home. Talk about a nightmare though..shoot Glocks for 2 years, switch to an Open STI, then decide to go back to a Glock, but in open lol. Talk about muscle memory...lol. It gets confused lol.

No excuses though, I need to practice more to excell.

Next on the agenda is finding bullets..I need live fire more than anything right now but I don't want to waste precious ammo for my matches.

A local club is going to attempt the first uspsa of the year next Sunday, and I need to be ready.

Dear little baby Jesus, help Montana gold with production output. Amen.

• 2 weeks later...

Ripped out some dryfire tonight.

Put some wind in my sails so I'm getting pumped for the upcoming months.

CB45 suggested I do some 6R6, so I cut up some construction paper to make exactly half of an A zone and places it about 7-8 yards.

Seems that I'm about at 4.1 average, sometimes dipping down to 3.8 and sometimes barely making 4.1. It tells me I have a lot to improve on for sure.

My transitions are becoming cleaner, but not great at all.

Seems like 1 out of 15 runs I have an amazing target transition and it feeds my desire to practice more. It's truly addicting, the gf is trying to pull me off here right now to watch a movie so she wins tonight.

Draws were at .7, reloads well under a second but still sloppy, I'm really giving my magwell a workout and I'm not okay with it.

I read than Ben said trying to practice reloads without the magwell somewhere. I may have to try that soon.

I have his book and will probably be cracking back into that soon.

Until next time!

Back at it today.

Took the day off, that lead to finishing up some to-dos and two different sessions of dry firing!

6R6 has been a big focus, I actually enjoy practicing this.

It has a draw, transitions, reload, back onto target ect. Seems like a pretty well rounded drill.

I think I'm going to start changing up the draw to surrender etc for more diversity.

Just in these couple of well focused days of practicing I can tell everything is becoming sharper. It's seeming more effortless, and natural.

Positive note for the day, two comps this weekend, AND I just got my credit card hit from MONTANA GOLD!! THANK YOU BABY JESUS!

Nothing new really, just getting comfortable at my par times right now.

I want to make them feel natural before I press onward. If that doesn't happen in the next couple days I'm going to drop the par times to make myself "rush" to feel more relaxed at my current times.

I think I'm going to just post as I find out anything new, I want to put my gun in my hand everyday so I'm going to try to make that happen.

See ya later guys!

Rough day today, silly mistakes. Completely hesitant, very jerky and somewhat disappointing.

On a positive note, it was a beautiful day and met some really nice people.

I learn more everytime I shoot, I'm ready to push through this rough patch and keep working toward the future.

I'm still diligently working through everything, today I noticed good improvement. I dropped .3 off of 6R6 which is now 3.7. I'm starting to feel a lot more fluid and comfortable.

Steve Anderson really gave some good words of wisdom to me at Silver Creek, and he is 100% right. I'm starting to really believe in myself, and momentum is a dangerous thing. Reloads are getting faster, draws are more consitent, I'm noticing a lot better grip now and that is helping a lot.

I'm going to try to do some live fire in the next couple days, which I really look forward to.

I'm now starting to believe in myself and really feel comfortable. In the time I've done this sport I've never really started to feel comfortable until now. I'm still shaky, but now I'm starting to feel more "dialed".

I can't wait for live fire, I'm itching to shoot!

Crappy weather lately.

No live fire this week for me and no dryfire for the past two days.

Last night wasn't feeling it, tonight had to relocktite and paint the comp from removal.

Starting to wonder if I should shoot the classifier match, with my business picking up shooting will always come second, and I don't want to classify higher than a level I can maintain throughout the summer.

Any thoughts?

Shooting is shooting... shoot the production rig at the classifier if your worried about bumping classes in open. At least you'll have a production classification if you decide to shoot the Indiana SS/Prd/Rev match. Big matches are always a good idea!

Today the match I was planning on going to was cancelled. Mid march..cancelled bc of snow. Wth mother nature!!!!

I was really looking forward to it, but CB45 said he was going this morning when we woke up and six and I got up and decided I was gonna make it.

Not five minutes later we found out the match was cancelled. Our main site Ingunowners.com was down so the only way people could find out was through here.

I sent as many messages to people I had in my contacts to let them know, but I know at least one person went anyway...oppss

Classifier match next weekend, what to shoot, what to shoot