Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RangeJunkies Practice Log

RangeJunkie

Well after a couple years of shooting, I'm going to give this thing a try. First a little background..

I'm 22 just graduated college in May of 2012. Picked up a pistol just as I turned 19, shot my first competition (a local steel match called Friday Night Steel) two weeks later and slowly got hooked since.

I dabbled around shooting that local match for about 2 years (once a month) until about a year and two months ago.

Kinda got pressured by a friend to try out uspsa, and off I went. I shot production for the two aforementioned years, as well as into the beginning of 2012.

Once I graduated college, I opened my own business, rewarding-yet time consuming. I decided that I wanted to switch divisions, and jumped into Open.

I ended up with a Trubor in 9Major. It was a rough start, I shot Glocks for years and jumping to a 2011 was very difficult. It took a few months to get the STI to run correctly (okay, I came from a Glock-pretty much no maintanence required lol) and since has been a pretty good pistol.

So as I start this out, USPSA #A-75423, I'm unclassified in everything besides Open, which I am @ 70% in B class.

I have no real goals for a classification, I just want to have fun.

Although, I spent years racing motocross before this, and became really proficient with that. Went to Amatuer nationals across the country and was about to turn pro before I had a really bad accident that put me into a wheelchair. Thankfully, I healed up 100%.

So to begin my log, tonight I started some dry fire, about 20 mins just to get acclamated to shooting again. The business consumed a majority of my summer into fall, so shooting fell to the wayside.

But hopefully, next year will be more stable and I'll be out on the range more.

I'm currently on the fence whether to keep my Trubor, or build an Open G17. I need to figure that one out soon.

So I look forward to this journey!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still torn between Production, my STI for open, or building a Glock for Open.

Spent the better part of an hour with my Production set up tonight, it really amazed me how fast it all came back.

Jumping from the STI to the Glock was much easier than the contrary.

I need to decide which way Im going next year though, every day counts.

Im slowly getting the train running for next year, I don't want to get burnt out before the season starts.

On a side note, a couple weeks ago I started moving into a house with the girlfriend, I still need to bring my 650 over so I can start loading ammo.

Turns out a mixture of us both getting the flu and the blizzard coming through it can put a hamper on moving.

Until next time...

Had a breakthrough today.

While working on my usual dry fire I picked something up.

The more pressure I apply to my weak hand on the underside of my trigger guard the more stable my dot is.

It was almost shocking how still it became.

Furthermore, I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the movement drills I've been doing.

As long as I consistently keep going at this pace I'll be really happy.

On another note, I need to tune the lips on my 140s and 170s. I noticed how far they were out of specs a couple weeks ago and started having some failure to ejects completely from under the cmore.

I plan to tune those and check my extractor tension before the next match on the 11th.

I'm feeling pretty good about this year, I've got that feeling again than I'm on the base of a increase in my skill level rather than plateauing.

We shall see!

Well had an interesting day for sure.

Made a trip to my good friend Chaney's today to tune my mags. That turned into much more than I thought.

It started with tuning mags, them taking off my cmore mount to get ready for the 90 degree mount I'm about to purchase, then deciding I'm going to apply grip tape to my grip.

While taking my bottom end apart one of the top grip screws were completely broken.

So tomorrow I'll be placing an order for parts, and getting it ready for the 11th.

Nothing like going somewhere to tune your mags and bring your gun back detail strip in a plastic box.

Awesome

Well it definitely didn't turn out how I hoped.

While putting the lower end together I had the plunger safety shoot across the room after the flat head screwdriver I was using broke. Awesome..

Furthermore it looks like the Cheely 90 degree mount I ordered will interfere with my slide. I PM'd him on here about getting a custom drilled one. I will keep you all posted on this.

Other than that..still going to try to make it for the 11th at FNS.

Special thanks goes out to CB45 for mailing me his extra plunger safety. I owe him a lot for getting my knowledge up on these 2011s.

Hopefully tomorrows post will be a happier one..

Back on it, thanks to Matt Cheely custom mount came in and I got it installed.

Thanks to CB45 for the safety plunger so as of now, I just have to sight in the cmore and I'm good to go!

Dryfired some tonight, less than 15, due to other issues coming up.

Just felt good to have the STI up and going.

I'll either have a great post tomorrow (trying out my new Kimber too) or a sad one.

Time for the range tomorrow!

Well after shooting with you a couple times I think I can say with certainty.......... OPEN is not for you. You should go production and not look back. You would be soooo much happier. Lol.

I'm glad you are posting. I thought you fell off the shooting world for awhile! Remember that you are welcome at my range anytime. Not for your benefit though, for mine. I gotta keep an eye on you young guys. Damn the youthful!!!!

Open rocks!!!! Stay STI and stay OPEN!!!!

Why do you say that? Im open to others thoughts as I'm pretty new to this game and your really experienced. Let me know! And thanks for the range offer I'll keep that in mind!

Bad news with the STI, she is running into some ejection issues I think due to tuning the mags. I should've just left them alone. It was running damn near perfect but to just settle my mind I went and tuned them and now it's gone to crap.

Gotta get that think ironed out soon, time to go see George! Lol

Production...hmmmmm

Why do you say that? Im open to others thoughts as I'm pretty new to this game and your really experienced. Let me know! And thanks for the range offer I'll keep that in mind!

You do realize I'm joking, right? Of course I want you in Open!!!!

You kids keep me on my toes, I hope Chad goes Open too!

Smith is still backed up. Starting to feel like its just not my season.

My R1 (streetbike) needs a new crank, which is going to be $1600+, my business truck just had a bad fuel pump today $500+, missed a day of work last week from weather issues..bleh. Crappy couple of weeks.

Really feeling like I'm just about to sell most of my shooting gear besides my Glocks, I am losing time and have to many other things in life.

Such a sad realization...

Um... relax man. Season does not even start until March/April. I would seriously consider shooting PRD until your open issues are resolved 100%. Shooting PRD is still shooting.

Lots of fun can be had in PRD.

Edited by CB45

Yeah, true. I may have to try that

Id love to have someone that wants to trade their G17 open for an STI. I'd be sold, I'd just like to get it running right if possible.

Um... relax man. Season does not even start until March/April. I would seriously consider shooting PRD until your open issues are resolved 100%. Shooting PRD is still shooting.

Lots of fun can be had in PRD.

Quick update, my new carver customs g17 comes in tomorrow and I am so excited.

Perfect mixture of both worlds, I'm ready for this season!

Way to pull myself out of a bad feeling and turn it into this!

I will have a range report tomorrow or after my first comp with it at FNS (Friday Night Steel).

Woo!

Got the new blaster today..wow!!

This thing is awesome, so far has ran 100% with zero issues. I've only loaded up minor for it so far since I'm shooting steel tomorrow night.

It feels so balanced, and predictable. It is slightly more "flippy" than my old 2011, but the dot does track better.

Overall I put about 125 rounds through it without issue. I'm exited for tomorrow.

Now the hunt for mags continue and need to get more reloading components.

On a sad note, I think my CR Speed for my STI will not interchange with my Glock. So I need to get a new holster I think.

Otherwise an awesome day!

I'm ready for the range tomorrow! It'll be fun finally shooting with CB45 in open too!

Match went okay, had one issue with my gun, it didn't eject all of the way. I suspect it was ammo related bc otherwise I think I would see it happen more often.

Anyway, the match was pretty difficult for me. Not the actual stages, but shooting a brand new gun in competition, while switching platforms (from a 2011 to an Open Glock) is difficult I'm happy with my result.

Got beat by CB45 in open by 5 seconds, so congrats to him! Looks like this year we are going to be keeping each other honest this year, I look forward to it.

Today after I build a second level in an enclosed trailer Im going to try to load up some major for the new toy. I'm not sure if my new rig and springs will come in today so worse case Monday will be the day.

Had fun last night, looking forward to more.

On a side note, Chizzle did point out something worthy in my mental game, and I'll need to address those issues soon.