Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DILLON RT1200

And I'm not saying what you are suggesting won't work. What I'm saying is that there is a more precise and easier (IMHO) way of doing it.

OH, I don't take offense to it. Your absolutely right it is more precise measurement . However, the adjustment if the dies at the point the OP is at it now down to so many degrees of a turn down of the die. So It is 5 degrees (turning down the die) for 0.001 shoulder set back or 3 degrees on those 7/8-14 pitch dies? Either way your chasing it on the adjustment especially with mixed brass. Like I stated earlier with all sorted same brass it, like I use for my precision bolt gun stuff sure a head space gauge makes absolute sense.

One more thing for the OP, when I say "eyeballing". I actually mean a visual assessment with confirmation using a straight edge against the case within the gauge. I use a razor blade. The case should not obviously extend outside the upper ledge, and you should be able to feel a slight drag running the blade against the lower ledge over the case ensuring it is slightly above it. I like to get it as close to minimum as possible, takes account for the differences in brass headstamps and the various chambers of my guns.

When setting up your rifle sizing die I'd recommend that you eventually get either an RCBS mic or the Hornady headspace gauge.

http://www.midwayusa...c-223-remington

http://www.midwayusa...with-comparator

Using that case gage can be frustrating and imprecise to set up your sizing die.

This. Measure the shoulders of brass fired out of that rifle then set your die to bump them back around .003 and you should be just fine without possibly overdoing it. Also get that piece for measureing chamber length so you know how long your brass is allowed to be for that particular rifle. Might as well get the bullet comparator too since it uses some of the same parts. All of these are pretty darn inexpensive but useful tools. Gives you more data to work with to tweak loads for individual firearms ...