Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold Mark 4 3-9x36mm MR/T M1

michael_aos

I bought an Armalite M15A4 (20" HBAR) and Leupold 1-5x20mm for "tactical" division 3-gun.

I think it's the perfect setup for me, for this game.

I also bought a Remington 700P in .223 and put a Bushnell Scopechief 4-14x50mm on it (I think I paid ~$200 for it, discontinued price is now ~$120) for MOR side-matches.

I've been taking them both camping all summer. Just for fun, and to get used to them. I keep thinking I should upgrade the scope on the 700P, but I just don't really shoot often enough to justify it.

The Armalite is just a BLAST to shoot though. And surprisingly accurate. I was smacking an

http://www.mgmtargets.com/autopopr.htm out at 250yds (benched) pretty consistantly this afternoon.

It's got me thinking about purchasing a Leupold 3-9x36mm and another Armalite 1pc quick-release mount for just "messing around". Something with a little higher magnification to reach-out at small targets a little further out. I'd probably leave the bolt-gun at home when we go camping and just do-it-all with the AR.

I can still swap back to the 1-5x20mm for matches.

Anyone played with this scope? Any other suggestions?

Or would my money be better-spent on a kick-butt scope for the bolt-gun?

700P-1.jpg

M15A4-1.jpg

(Yes, I know the bipod has to come off for "tactical")

Mike

I think you have pretty much the ideal scope for that AR. If I were going your thing, I'd upgrade the glass on the bolt gun.

I have recently "acquired" a nice .223 bolt gun too, but I need a good scope. I will probably get something Pentax-ish.

I think you have pretty much the ideal scope for that AR. If I were going your thing, I'd upgrade the glass on the bolt gun.

I have recently "acquired" a nice .223 bolt gun too, but I need a good scope. I will probably get something Pentax-ish.

What do you think of the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm LR/T M1 (Duplex reticle, Part no. 54660) for the bolt-gun?

Mike

Leave the AR as is and get the Leupold for the bolt. The 14x will do everythignyou need to do with a .223.

I was just checking Bear Basin to see if they had a better price than Cabela's on the 4.5-14x50mm Tactical.

Same price, but I did notice a Vari-X III, 3.5-10x40mm, matte, duplex, tactical w/target knobs (part no. 45266). Regular-price $524, on sale for $379.

That's a heck of a lot less than the $799 4.5-14x50mm tactical.

I've had it in my head I needed 14x for MOR. Is it worth the extra $$$, or should I jump on the 10x scope on sale?

Mike

MOR is generally 600 and in so the 10X will do fine. Lots of places will smoke Cabelas prices. Check SWFA and D and R sports.

Yeah, basically I tend to think "if I can find it somewhere else, it's less expensive".

Seems like I generally see the exact same prices for Luepold scopes no matter where I look.

But I will take a peek at SWFA and D&R.

Mike

I think I'd like to have mil dots on the bolt gun. Anything Leupold makes is going to be first rate stuff, but I will probably get a Pentax because 1) they are a little less $$$, and 2) my FLG is their biggest stocking dealer, will have a good selection, and will mount it properly for me if I buy it from him.

MOR is generally 600 and in so the 10X will do fine. Lots of places will smoke Cabelas prices. Check SWFA and D and R sports.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but D&R has the 4.5-14x50mm (part no. 54660) for $714.

The 3-10x40mm (part no. 45266) only has a 1" tube, but $379 & free shipping sounds really appealing.

TAC_VX3_3.5-10x40.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, I've been around and around and around. I've driven my friends insane, asking them which scope I should get (if any).

The guy who has helped me the most with my "gun questions" keeps telling me to avoid anything with the word "Tactical" in it. Says the Leupold Tactical scopes are OK, but not worth the money. That my money would be better spent elsewhere.

I'm finally ready to just leave my MOR gun with the Bushnell 4.5-14x50mm alone for a while. It's good enough for now.

I tried putting a Burris 4-12x32mm R/A on my Armalite M15A4 using the Armalite 1pc, 1" scope-mount but I can't mount it quite far enough forward to get the eye-relief I want. Next step was going to be a Swan Sleeve, but I've read that might make the mount too tall and I'd lose my cheek-weld.

I've got the Leupold 1.5-5x20mm for 3-gun. That's a no-brainer. I'm just wanting something with a little more magnification for "fun" shooting. 6" plates at 400yds from a bench, for example.

I can get the MR/T mentioned above (designed with short eye-relief specifically for the AR) on sale tomorrow for $598. Otherwise its more like $730. If this is a decent scope, I'd like to jump on this deal and just be done with it.

Or should I just skip it and spend my money on gunsmithing & reloading stuff? Is there a another "AR friendly" 9x or 10x scope I should be looking at instead?

Mike