Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CC production legal tungsten guide rod

cpa5oh

I've got an XDM 5.25" 9mm and I do struggle a little bit with recoil control (coming from an all metal gun platform.) I see Canyon Creek offers a production ready gun with a tungsten guide rod, asked about it, and I can see now that it is smaller than their beefier tungsten rod and therefore weighs less.

The difference in weight between the non-production guide rod and the production guide rod is only 1 oz (4.1 vs. 3.1 oz) and the difference between the guide rod I've got in my gun now and the production tungsten guide rod is only 1.2 oz (1.9 vs 3.1 oz.) 1.2 oz doesn't seem like a big deal that would make recoil any easier to handle...but then again, there's only a 1 oz difference between the production and non-production guide rods so maybe 1 oz does make a noticeable difference.

Anybody shot an XDM's with steel and CC's production tungsten rods that can tell me if there were a noticeable difference? If there is, I'm in...

I can notice a difference in all of them. I have the the 3/8" and 5/16" versions of both the steel and tungsten guide rods and you can tell a difference in shooting when you test them side by side. How much of a difference will probably vary from person to person depending on how in tune you are with the gun. I like to tinker so I've tried about all of them and for me I'd say its worth it.

I have had my CC 4p XDM for about a week now it came with the production legal tungsten guide rod. I to wonder what difference could 1oz could make i can tell you just by switching them and putting the stock guide rod in and feeling the gun and then putting the tungsten guide rod back in what a difference. I love mine and can tell a difference shooting it as well. I also like being able to use 1911 recoil spring there a lot easier to come by and there is any weighted spring you could want.

Well it looks like I've got to get a Tungsten guide rod, then.

Msfinlayson - my gun didn't come with a stock guide rod - is the stocker metal and do you know if it weighs 1 oz less than the production tungsten one? I was figuring that the stocker probably wasn't nearly as heavy as my Powder River steel one...and so I was thinking that maybe I'm already getting most of the benefits of a heavier guide rod by using the steel one.

No question about it - my loads aren't figured out and my grip is inconsistent. I'm just figuring that if something equipment-wise can be done to help, might as well do it. I am really working on the grip and loads, but it seems I'm not the fastest learner nor the most consistent guy - I was shooting a load with 4.5 grains of Unique under a 122 gr flat point one day and I felt like my front sight was back in the rear notch faster than I could physically move the trigger...then last night I felt like I was shooting a shotgun with the same load...I need to keep shooting and identify what the differences in the driver behind the gun between good and bad days so that I can try and eliminate the bad days.

The stock guide rod is not soild it is hollow in the middle I would guess it weights in at less then an 1oz. I can check later when I get home. If you all ready have a solid steel guide rod. Which it sounds like you do. I don't know that I would spend $80 for 1 more oz. I weight the stock guide rod when I get home.