Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Rolling action" ? and shorter hammer run question

Patrick1981

Hello everyone, it's a bit of time that I wanted to speak of this curiosity..

It all started when I saw an old photo published here about an old revolver with bobbed hammer..

From what I understand, in traditional mechanical the trigger has two points where reach the hammer sear,

and the last one is the part marked on the first photo.

Now ... from what I understand this change (old photo) that removes the last point of attachment of the trigger on the hammer

makes a shorter run.

Then I came up with a photo from an Italian magazine in 2007 that I have at home

and I noticed this particular action called "rolling action"..think called for a little wheel pinned on sear.

Anyway, in both situations, the run of the hammer is obviously shorter and therefore believe that the timing

must have been completely rearranged, perhaps through the use of a fitting oversized hand ..

Has anyone ever seen such a thing?

Thanks

post-27397-0-57631100-1355431631_thumb.j

post-27397-0-00358400-1355431657_thumb.j

post-27397-0-30267000-1355431692_thumb.j

post-27397-0-65496800-1355431718_thumb.j

The roller sear was made by Cylinder and Slide. You might inqire about it with them. In my personal opinion, I would rather have the longer action that can be lighter than the shortened action which has to have the springs set heavier because the hammer doesn't travel as far.

The idea was to make the trigger easier to pull by having less friction. It did help some. This was in the days before 5 and 6 pound trigger pulls, when 8 pounds was considered pretty good.

Edited by Toolguy

Patrick, I have a Roller kit installed in one of my older K frames. It did make the action wiht a shorter pull. For me they worked great with the K frames and ok with the L frames, but I did not care for them in the N frame as you really had to stoke up the spring tension so much in the N frames. Cylinder and Slide quit producing them some years back if I remember correctly. Back then we were trying to cut corners to get better trigger speed. But now most of the revos shot at the USPSA are N frame wiht a few L frames mixed in. And my roller kits were drop in with no gunsmithing required. But they came in a set (Hammer and Trigger). And as Toolguy stated back then 8 lbs was light and we were just going for a smoooooth trigger feel. I hope this is helpful. later rdd

Edited by Bubber