Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223 neck sizing

PacMan

Problem that I can't seem to resolve: Dillon 650 with Dillon Precision 223 dies. When loading 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip or Sierra 55 gr. SPBT bullets, the seating force caused a small indentation ring around the bullet. (no problem with 55 gr. FMJ.) I've try RCBS neck sizing die and same problem exists. Seemed like the neck isn't expanded enough to seat without the seat die forming a ring. :angry:

Questions: Anyone else with this problem? and how do you solve it? Does this indentation affect bullet accuracy (out to 400 yds. range)? Thanks!

I had the same thing happening to SMK 69 & 77 bullets using the Dillon seating die. It wasn’t the amount of neck sizing, it was that the Dillon seater stem only contacts the bullet where the ring was left. Switching to a Redding Competition seating die fixed the problem because their seater contacts a larger area and does not concentrate the force in a small ring like the Dillon die.

The neck tension is a good thing as far as setback prevention goes. It did not effect accuracy as far as I could tell, but I switched dies anyway because I didn’t like doing that to Match Kings. The FMJ’s are probably a different ogive and don’t contact the same place in the die. My Dillon die did not mark Hornady 55gr FMJBT’s loaded into cases sized in the same dies either. Maybe the FMJ’s are thicker jackets.

--

Regards,

George, thanks for the tip on Redding Comp Seating Die, I'll make the switch. I didn't think the ring marking on the bullet would have much appreciable negative effect on accuracy, but I'm with you on not wanting to leave the indentation where there should be none.