Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P trigger variability

njl

A friend just bought a full size M&P 9mm. We shot it today, and the trigger was pretty terrible. The initial take up was about what I expected, but the final break was so hard, at first I thought it had a mag disconnect safety (was trying to dry fire it without a mag). It didn't...it just had an 8.5lb trigger (measured with my Lyman digital gauge).

I noticed the guy next to us at the range also had a full size M&P, so I asked if I could dry fire it. It turned out to be a new M&P .40, recently purchased, nothing done to it. It had what I've experienced in other friends M&P's. A nice, smooth, 5-6lb at most pull.

Is this just luck of the draw, or does S&W produce some of their guns with much heavier triggers than most?

Guns are spec'ed at 6.5 lbs., I bought one that was 7.5 new though....same thing, heavy on the end. I put in an Apex kit so that fixed it, but if you don't want to do that I echo the above poster's comment. That is too heavy for spec, too light to be Mass compliant.

I haven't measured mine, but I have 3 M&Ps and all have very distinct trigger feel. It's weird how they can all feel a tiny but different, kinda like they all have a little bit of a personality.

My 45 loads quickly and has a very heavy break. It's definitely usable but I'm very close to changing that trigger out for an Apex carry trigger to alleviate the gritty feeling as well as the stacky, heavy pull.

My 9c has the smoothest and cleanest (stock) trigger of any M&P I've recently fired. Truthfully, I have no reason to change it out.

My Production gun (M&P9) was built in 2006 and, while it was fairly clean and crisp, it went back for repairs then got the Apex Competition kit, which is by far a night and day improvement over stock - so much so it doesn't feel like the same pistol.

Edited by Son Of The Griz

My M&P40FS was purchased in June 2011. It had and still has a 4.3 lb break. Originally it had a very slight gritty feel to it, but now it breaks like glass. I would say that at least back then, the breaks were variable because prior to purchasing, I tried the same model gun at other stores and the trigger break was bigger at some places and smaller at others.

They are all over the place. My last one was a 40Pro with a factory break at almost 8 pounds. So much for a "Pro" improved trigger. And hopefully I didn't have to pay extra with the grit that came with the trigger. All of it got replaced with the Apex parts and all was well, but none of mine feel the same. This last one also had a nasty catch at the start of the trigger update where it engaged the striker block. I had to reshape the trigger bar engagement with the striker block to make it go away. Apex said that S&W changed the design with of the trigger bar and it does not play nice with the FSS striker block any longer.