Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another WST thread

Agney5

Sorry for another WST thread I know there is a bunch on here about wst but there seems to be big differences in load data. Shooting a xdm 4.5" loaded with 180gr Moly at OAL of 1.142 I might be able to extend that a little longer. So my question is how much powder am I looking at for a summer load average temp. 90 and fall winter around 50. Obviously I'll start below recommendations and work up but just want to get an idea of where to start. Thanks for all the help everyone.

i have run wst for years, and never had a summer and winter load, same temps as you

I dont believe the differencce is that big.

at a 171 pf same load has never failed chrono summer or winter.

anywhere from 168 to172 pf

i have run wst for years, and never had a summer and winter load, same temps as you

Good to know thank you for the info. Do you have any load data that would be useful? I'm not necessarily looking for an exact match to my gun, but someone with a similar oal. If someone has data from a 5" barrel i could work with that. This is assuming that they a aren't pushing pressure limits themselves.

Good to know thank you for the info. Do you have any load data that would be useful? I'm not necessarily looking for an exact match to my gun, but someone with a similar oal. If someone has data from a 5" barrel i could work with that. This is assuming that they a aren't pushing pressure limits themselves.

chrono today 171 pf 60 degrees

180 bear creek moly

1.185 oal

5.0 wst

5inch gun

chrono today 171 pf 60 degrees

180 bear creek moly

1.185 oal

5.0 wSt

5inch gun

Thank you very much for the info. I'll see if i can stretch my oal a little thanks again.

Edited by Agney5

I don’t load or recommend WST in the 40 loaded to SAMMI length. It does well loaded to an OAL of 1.175-1.200 for a 1911/2011 frame, but everyone I know with a Glock, M&P or XD can only load to about 1.135-1.145 due to magazine length restrictions.

At the short SAMMI length, WST seems to max out (pressure wise) at about 160-165PF depending on the gun.

For this application, I prefer WSF. 5.6-5.8 gr. will get you to 170 PF safely, with about the same recoil impulse, accuracy and clean burning characteristics as WST.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I don’t load or recommend WST in the 40 loaded to SAMMI length. It does well loaded to an OAL of 1.175-1.200 for a 1911/2011 frame, but everyone I know with a Glock, M&P or XD can only load to about 1.135-1.145 due to magazine length restrictions.

At the short SAMMI length, WST seems to max out (pressure wise) at about 160-165PF depending on the gun.

For this application, I prefer WSF. 5.6-5.8 gr. will get you to 170 PF safely, with about the same recoil impulse, accuracy and clean burning characteristics as WST.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Good to know. I appreciate the help. I really thought WST is what I wanted to go with but it just doesn't seem to be very well suited for my shorter OAL. The recoil is what I'm really most concerned about it’s my wife’s gun so the softer the better.

WST wouldn't be my first choice for 180 jacketed bullets but with cast 175 Lee bullets (178 from my alloy) it works fine in my 5" M&P. Oddly, fooling with the seating depth from 1.125 all the way out to 1.16 didn't make much difference on either the chrono or the targets.

YMMV, of course

Mark

I used to make major out of a five inch gun with a 180 gr. Bear Creek bullet and 4.85 gr. WST loaded to 1.16. I didn't see pressure signs, but I'd definitely work up to 4.85 gr.

Good to know. I have loaded up some from 4.2 to 4.8 but they are with winchester mspp (all I could find) so I'll find out how they do. If anyone has any other suggestions for a soft load for major let me know. I just keep hearing good things about WST so I'm going to give it a try see how she likes it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my WST info from my last test loads. All were shot from an M&P40Pro 5" gun. All rounds loaded to 1.140 and all using WST without any pressure issue. Fire at 40 degrees. The bottom two are my preexisting loads and the Rainier is what I was testing that day.

Sorry, it looked like it was gonna take the formatting from my spreadsheet but it didn't so I had to clean things up.

Rainier Ballistics 180gr 40S&W

5.0gr WST = 958 FPS Average = 172PF

5.2gr WST = 975.4 FPS Average = 175 PF

5.4gr WST = 1005 FPS Average = 180 PF

Precision Delta 180gr 40S&W

5.2gr WST = 955 FPS Average = 176 PF

Precision Bullets 185gr 40S&W

4.7gr WST = 970 FPS Average = 179 PF

Edited by Fried Chicken Blowout

So based on my buddy's suggestion the Precision Bullets load at the bottom is my "summer" load. We have huge swings in temps here in Colorado. In January I may shoot a match in 10* weather and in August it will be 100*... I've seen some pretty big swings in WST just in the little bit I've been testing it.