Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil 'management'

When shooting anything other than very slow 'bullseye' fire, I've discovered I have sort of a full arm flinch. I can notice it when I'm in the middle of a string and get a click instead of a bang. It's not a typical flinch that sort of breaks at the wrist; it seems more like my whole arm moves down a bit in anticipation. I'm having trouble understanding if this is a normal response thats occurring after the shot breaks, or if this is just a glorified flinch. Anyone have any thoughts? I can tell I'm mashing my trigger a bit from my groups, for what its worth. These were fired at about ten yards under time pressure, two to chest one to head (roughly). :)

post-31234-0-23587800-1354589382_thumb.j

post-31234-0-56403000-1354589402_thumb.j

Edited by SpookyPistolero

It appears that your anticpating and trying to hard to control the gun for the second shot but before the second shot has happened. One shot, let the sights settle, and then the second shot. Slow the splits way down for a while, practice and I think you'll see an improvement over time.

Brian covered something similar in one of Burkett's DVD's without seeing first hand I can't comment if its flinch or recovery/anticipation. The easiest way to diagnose it for me would be to go out about 20 yards and basically do a bill drill making hits count but go as fast as you can to make your hits count. If you have a true flinch you will be in the -3/D or beneath the target. Distance will exacerbate most problems to make it easier to figure out for me.