Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 swaging and flash hole

Hello everyone; I recently aquired a non super 1050 and have been enjoying reloading on it very much. One thing I noticed is on some cases the flash hole will get partially blocked during the swaging operation from the piece that supports the inside of the case. The burr from where the flash hole is punched gets swaged back over it, partially blocking it.

I was just wondering if anyone has noticed this and will that small burr get burned/broke off during the next firing/reloading operation.

Thanks for all the info everyone contributes, all the info I have absorbed on this forum has made my transtion to a Dillon reloader a pleasent experience ;)

Adam

I load military 9MM brass on my Super 1050 and have notice the same thing however, it doesn't seem to cause any problem and the next time I load the brass the decaping pin knocks out any small burr over the flach hole.

If I'm loading commercial brass, I use a non-Dillon expander and avoid any potentional problem.

When I load .40, I don't use the Dillon expander either because it bottoms out on the web of the case about the same time you get a good bell.

With .223, I size/deprime, swage the primer pockets and trim using a Dillon power trimmer. I then tumble the brass to remove the lube and then use a Redding neck size bushing die without a bushing (you could use a universal depriming die) to insure the flash holes are free of burs and tumbling media.

LIZARD OUT