Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Defining Yourself Into A Corner

omnia1911

10.4.2 A shot which strikes the ground within 3 meters (9.84 feet) of the competitor, except when shooting at a paper target closer than 3 meters (9.84 feet) to the competitor. A bullet which strikes the ground within 3 meters (9.84 feet) of the competitor due to a “squib” load is exempt from this rule.

This rule above is a good example of the potential pitfalls of precisely defining certain actions that could lead to a match DQ. A draw, reload, unload, or transfer could all fall under this same umbrella.

10.4.2 gives a precise measurement of 9.84 feet (3 meters). One can surmise that the impact of the bullet is one of the measuring points, but where is the other? Is it the competitor's toe, leg, holster, muzzle of the gun at the time of the discharge? What if the competitor or his gun has moved? Where are the measuring points now? 9.84 feet is pretty specific number. How would the RO know whether it was 9.83 or 9.84 or 9.85? Does the RO have a tape measure available on each stage? Does the tape being used measure in meters or inches? Does the RO know how to precisely convert measurements between the two methods?

Caution!

Frankly, I don't have time to concern myself with literal interpretations of each and every word in a rule by range lawyers. If the shooter whips the old blaster out and torches one off into the dirt within what looks to me to be 3 steps, while not engaging a target placed 3 meters, it's a DQ. The shooter can appeal.

Frankly, I don't have time to concern myself with literal interpretations of each and every word in a rule by range lawyers. If the shooter whips the old blaster out and torches one off into the dirt within what looks to me to be 3 steps, while not engaging a target placed 3 meters, it's a DQ. The shooter can appeal.

Here, Here!!