Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rigging up spacers for safari 771 mag pouch?

trp

Anybody rig anything up for this style mag carrier I would like to get them off my body a little, so I can get my hand on them a bit better (yes I'm fat) anybody got any pics of ideas for me?

I've not done this for those mag carriers, but I suspect that if you are willing to replace the mounting screws with longer screws of the same thread, you could use a short lengths of fuel hose as spacers. Fuel hose is somewhat rigid or rigid enough, cheap and usually available at your local hardware store.

I have used fuel hose for extending the position of my DAA PDR and BT holsters out and away from the belt. The factory screws were ~1/4" and I replaced them with 1" screws using 1/2" diameter fuel hose cut to ~3/4" lengths.

If I recall the Safariland mag carriers, they are attached to the mounting bracket with brass screws and barrel nuts. Bring the a screw and a barrel nut to the hardware and store to find screws that are longer, but have the same head size and thread pitch. Get enough fuel hose to make extensions and you should be in business.

I'm sure there's something better than fuel hose, but I got the idea from my DAA PDR holster. That's what they used. Since the segments are so short, it is actually quite rigid.

What's nice about the hose is that there's just enough resilience that it helps keep the screws tight when you crank'em down.

If you go to Home Depot or similar store they have hard rubber faucet washers that work well for what you want to do. I have used them numerous times to get a holster out away from my body. They will not compress so figure out how far you want them out and buy enough washers to do the job. You can easily use 4-5 if necessary to get the mag pouches out from your body.