Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Dies for .257 Roberts?

DickP3

I'm new to rifle reloading and want to load for a Remington 722 that has been in the family a long time. I want to shoot varmits, targets and metal silhouettes. I know that this rifle isn't benchrest quality but I want to make ammo that will shoot as good as it (and I) can.

The bullet will be the Sierra Blitzking 90 gr BT, powder will be H380 and the cases will be new Remington (that I just found online).

The dies I am considering are the Redding standard die ($42 for FL sizer and a bullet seater) and the Forster Benchrest FL and Seater ($70). Redding makes a competition die set but it is very expensive ($220). I'll be using a 550 for brass prep and a 650 for loading.

I like the way the Forster seater die appears to line up the bullet with the case and its adjustability. Other than that, I really don't have a good basis for choosing between the two.

Thanks for your help

Dick

I prefer Redding dies. I do use the Competition Bullet Seater die on all my loading from pistols to rifles. I don' think it is worth the money for a complete competition die set for what you are doing. They are geared more toward benchrest shooting.

Thanks Jaxshooter. The Redding competition bullet seater die for .257 Roberts is $142. Do you think that the Forster seater die is good enough or should I get standard Redding dies and a Redding competition seater die?

Dick

I'd see how it shoots first. I had one - years ago - and had restocked it with a Fajen and glass bedded it with the barrel free floated. It would group around .500 for three shots @ 100 with the 117 Sierra boat tail and 4831 powder. I loaded for it with a Lee Target Loader - called a whack-A-mole by someone on here lately - and it had an inside neck turning device, otherwise like the present ones.

You might do well with just a Lee set of dies - for a press, of course - which would be less expensive.