Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Progress So Far

BobS761

So, I've been to 4 USPSA matches. Starting early spring, very first match, Limitied division I scored 149 points with a 19.5 stage %. Next month, I shot production, mostly because I like the planning and mag changes. 183 points and 22.7%. Then an unfortunate but valuable and eye opening DQ, then had to sit out July through October due to breaking my shoulder, ending up last week in production with 213 points, and 29.6 stage %. I was very deliberate shooting, because I didn't want to risk another DQ.

I think I'm improving. I can see, from the stage results, that I'm really slow. Also, I'm very uncomfortable running with a loaded weapon. Not sure how to fix that, but I can move pretty well. I know I'm getting on target quicker, even while battling crazy cross eye dominance.

My winter plan is to practice drawing, and aquiring targets, as well as transitioning between targets. Then more mag changes, as so far what I do in practice leaves me when the buzzer sounds. But, what about moving faster? Could it be as simple as setting up stages in my yard and running while unloaded, with a few moving mag changes thrown in?

I know I have a long way to go. Transitioning from NRA High Power hasn't been easy for me, LOL! :surprise:

B

I'm a new USPSA shooter also and I'm learning new things at each match (like how to manage reloads and engage all the targets). I have to make a conscious effort to slow down and call my shots, especially if I am in a squad of good shooters who make it look so easy at times. When I try to go fast like them, I crash and burn.

Jim

Yes, get used to running with your gun. Maybe find the root of what makes you uncomfortable running with a gun and work on that? Maybe you could be a bit more mindful of your muzzle and trigger finger... I felt the same way my first stage, but as skills improved I pushed my self to go faster. I am leaning that good part of this game is moving fast, not necessarily shooting fast, but moving fast.

I should say moving efficiently. Spend as much time planning your steps as you spend planning your reloads.

Good luck

PS Im only a year into this as well, but spend countless hours watching videos of the best and squadding with the real gamers.My goal this year was to understand how to play the game. Next year I will plan to get my B classification (from D).

If all goes well, I will wait list nationals 2014 if i feel I put my time in this up coming season.

Edited by cyprant

Also, I'm very uncomfortable running with a loaded weapon. Not sure how to fix that, but I can move pretty well.

My winter plan is to practice drawing, and aquiring targets, as well as transitioning between targets. Then more mag changes, as so far what I do in practice leaves me when the buzzer sounds. But, what about moving faster? Could it be as simple as setting up stages in my yard and running while unloaded, with a few moving mag changes thrown in?

B

The more you do it - move safely with a loaded gun - the more comfortable you will feel. It takes practice to develop muzzle awareness and safe handling skills and dryfire will defintely help.

If appropriate for your neighborhood (adequate privacy) and you have the room to setup something in the back, do it. Who said dry fire has to be indoors? A couple of 2x4s or lengths of 2" PVC make for great fault lines and are easy to move around to simulate all sorts of different scenarios.

Edited by lumpygravy

• 2 months later...

I started out the same way - slow and deliberate. It takes a while getting comfortable running with loaded weapons. I love the sport and to learn more, I try to attend matches and shoot with the best shooters. I like to watch how they move, how they attack a stage. Notice their stage planning, when they reload, how they transition. You don't have to shoot that fast, but if you move point to point faster, you will increase your times. There is an economy of motion that faster shooters have developed - they never appear to stop until they finish their runs.

Don't worry about the DQ. There are only two types of shooters - those that have been DQ'd and those that will get DQ'd. It happens to everyone. ;)