Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Witness w/ wonder finish for limited?

NicVerAZ

A local guy is selling a barely used .40 S&W EAA Witness with wonder finish for $350. It has the 4.5" barrel.

I am looking for an affordable pistol to shoot limited major, something with a rather good firepower and that I can expand upon as I go.

How good are these compared to the limited edition? Can one improve it with DIY gunsmithing and after market parts?

Can I for instance replace the sights with competition oriented ones, with E/W adjustment in back, FO in the front? The rear sight on these look "mil-specky" as far as the cut.

What is the maximum round capacity for these? I've heard you could get extended magazines with a 19 round capacity?

I am used to DA/SA by the way, since I shoot a Grand Power K100 in production / SSP.

Thanks in advance

I owned an EAA Witness all steel wonder finish compact, and currently own an EAA Witness Elite Match. Both outstanding guns for the price.

But, if you think you will be competing regularly and for many years, just go with the Limited. It will get you to competition ready action immediately. And wow, every EAA Witness model I've ever shot has been amazingly accurate. Henning and Canyon Creek offer gunsmithing and parts for the EAA/Tanfoglio to take it to the "next level."

I initially went the inexpensive mode when I first started competing in USPSA, and now i compete with a Sig X5 Competition .40s&w regularly and occasionally with a Dawson Precision CRP STI Edge. If I would have just started with the X5 or Edge to start with, I would have saved myself several thousand dollars as I got more serious and wanted to be more competitive. I went through a lot of guns and gear to end up where I'm at now. So, going the inexpensive route can often be much more expensive in the long run.

But, if you think you will just shoot the occasional club match, then you will be happy with the standard EAA Witness. But based on changes you already want to make to it, my guess is you are looking to be regular and competitive.

I believe the wonder finish guns have the front sight as part of the slide so to change that will require milling. I think they have run a couple of rear sights over the years one that is similar to but larger than a GI 1911 and one that looks like the loa adjustable on the match model if it is the one that looks like the match adjustable then you could change to that sight if it is the other style then I think LPA makes one but you would be better off with having it milled for a different sight. Other than that Henning sells pads and guts to get 21 rd in the mags and you can change out the trigger to a SA either stock or Henning.

I think the .40 Match is a better choice for starting in Limited. SA trigger, replaceable front sight, beefier slide....not to mention better fit and finish, Would make a good "nightstand" gun ,too since it has a rail for a light.

Edited by pivoproseem

• 4 weeks later...