Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just made A class in open

56hawk

I've been B class since I first got classified in 1999. Took a ten year break when I decided to go back to school. Getting back into shooting and decided I'm going to try to at least make master class. I've changed the way I practice, and it only took me two classifiers to make A class.

Back in the day my main concern was to be match winner at my local club. The majority of my practice was live fire running and gunning. Shooting while moving in and out of shooting boxes. And I do have a stack of match winner trophies to show for it.

Found practicing for the classifiers to be totally different. Set up some classifier courses and noticed that I was losing a lot of time on my reloads. Started dry fire practicing my draw and reloads and my classifier percentages jumped from around 70% to close to 85%. Now just a little more practice and I should be shooting master class scores.

... I've changed the way I practice, and it only took me two classifiers to make A class.

Found practicing for the classifiers to be totally different. Set up some classifier courses and noticed that I was losing a lot of time on my reloads. Started dry fire practicing my draw and reloads and my classifier percentages jumped from around 70% to close to 85%. Now just a little more practice and I should be shooting master class scores.

Can you write more about how you changed the way you practice?

How are you evaluating your shooting? Percentages? Raw Time?

DNH

Can you write more about how you changed the way you practice?

How are you evaluating your shooting? Percentages? Raw Time?

DNH

The big change for me was starting to do dry fire practice. I found I can get in a lot more draws and reloads if I don't have to tape targets and clean the dirt off my mags. Also started using the par time feature on my timer to make sure I'm improving. It remembers different par times, so I have one set for draws and one for reloads. I spend about a half hour to an hour each day dry firing at the tv. Maybe not the best target, but at least it keeps it interesting.

When I do go to the range I try to setup an actual classifier stage. I use this site to figure out what hitfactor is needed to make A, Master and Grandmaster: http://www.classifiercalc.com/ Then after I shoot I see where my hit factor falls and try to figure out where I need to improve. That's where I figured out I needed to work on my reloads. On one classifier I was practicing my reloads were between 1.7 and 3 seconds. Not consistent at all. Doing better now, but still fumble a mag change every once in a while.

The big change for me was starting to do dry fire practice...I spend about a half hour to an hour each day dry firing at the tv. Maybe not the best target, but at least it keeps it interesting.

DRY FIRE

I've heard this many times as the source of awesomeness! I am not surprised that this is what helped you. Dry fire is cheap and convenient.

You won't be the first person to shoot their TV if you do...

I think having a plan for my dry fire practice will help me keep at it. I've got Steve Anderson's book and I plan to join the A's next year.

Thanks,

DNH

Thanks. I too, want to get into A very soon. I just remembered a GM gave me that par time hint a while back and I did it like, once. Then forgot about it. I've also not been dry firing like I used to to get to B in the first place. I always felt better on that first stage... dry firing the night before helps to hold off those "1st stage jitters" for sure.

congrats.