Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on Wolf primers

dryfly

I've asked this on other forums but have yet to get a good answer. Widners is selling 2 different Wolf primers for 223 loads. The KVB-556M seems to work well but has some reported problems with certain powders such as H335 and equivalant surplus powders. They also have a new primer KVB223M which is hotter (true magnum) and advertised as for use with difficult to ignite powder.

Has anyone actually used the KVB223M? Is there any reason NOT to use this instead of the KVB-556M?

Looks to me like there is no downside as both have hard cups designed to use in an AR15 and the KVB223M might work with any and every powder.

Edited by dryfly

The KVB223M is my accuracy primer for 600 yard ammo. Never heard of the problems with surplus powders, but maybe others have had trouble, I dunno. Wolf tends to be slightly larger than US primers so they fit snugly in primer pockets that have seen a few max loads already.

I've never had occasion to try the newer 556 primer since the 223s have worked so well. FWIW, I get by far the lowest SD/ES with their LR primers in my 1,000 yard 308 loads as well.

Mark

Thanks Redial,

Actually the KVB556M is the older primer, and KVB223M is the newer. The 556M was a hard cup designed for use in AR's. The newer223M's are actually a magnum primer. I'm sure I'm making too much of this but there is just a lot of conflicting info out there.

Oops! Sorry, dryfly - like D and D, I bought a brazillion of em a year or two ago and forgot which I have. I ran out in the garage to verify that mine are the KVB556Ms. They work very well for me.

Cheers!

Mark

redial:

So, you have been using the KVB556M's and NOT the KVB223M's. Thanks for checking. The more I research the more I believe the 556's are the true magnum primer and infact are the ones that seem to cause little if any problems. This has been most confusing and even after calling Wolf and Widners today I think I was misinformed by both. They state that the 223M's are the magnum primer. I don't believe they know what they are talking about.

On Wolf's website they list the magnum as item# NCSRM. Widners call their KVB556M item# QQQSRM. This convinces me they are one in the same, the magnum primer.

thanks for checking.