Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you track your progress?

kneelingatlas

I'm just curious what the veterans have to say. I'm not new to compeditive pistol shooting, but new to USPSA; I've shot in three matches so far and my focus has been on these three points (in order):

1. get the gun working - I bought a brand new CZ Tactical Sport which seemed to have at least one malfunction per stage; I tried everythng I could think of until in my second match, I took out the factory recoil buffer and 250 rounds later I haven't had a single problem.

2. relax

3. shoot As

I have this overwhelming confidence that all I have to do is shoot As and I will naturally speed up, is this a sound theory?

So to trak my progress, I decided to keep tabs on two things: As shot/shots fired and my classifier score. Is this a common marker for improvement?

In my first three matches, the marks have been:

76%, D; 74%, D; 85%, B

My fast match is the fist one I finished without a malfunction; it seems like when I'm not clearing jams, I also tend to shoot more As. The Qualifier (CM09-13) also happened to be my best stage, I ended up placing sixth overall of 27 shooters; beat by the three Open shooters and two Limited shooters (one Master and one Unclassified).

I'm shooting L10 right now because I figure the only way to become a proficient reloader is to reload. Often.

So to trak my progress, I decided to keep tabs on two things: As shot/shots fired and my classifier score. Is this a common marker for improvement?

In my first three matches, the marks have been: I don't understand these numbers. What are they again?

76%, D; 74%, D; 85%, B

, I ended up placing sixth overall of 27 shooters; beat by the three Open shooters and two Limited shooters (one Master and one Unclassified) Personally I think you are setting yourself up for a hard fall by keeping track of this stuff. I know a guy who likes to boast a little about how well he shoots for being new. Yet when he gets in a match with different or many more shooters he finishes right where most new guys should. Middle of the pack or lower. He gets really bummed out and wonders what happened. For all you know you are the 6th best shooter out of 27 mediocre shooters. Now when you start finishing better than good Open shooters and limited shooters then you can better gauge your progress.

In my first three matches, the marks have been: I don't understand these numbers. What are they again?

76%, D; 74%, D; 85%, B

, I ended up placing sixth overall of 27 shooters; beat by the three Open shooters and two Limited shooters (one Master and one Unclassified) Personally I think you are setting yourself up for a hard fall by keeping track of this stuff. I know a guy who likes to boast a little about how well he shoots for being new. Yet when he gets in a match with different or many more shooters he finishes right where most new guys should. Middle of the pack or lower. He gets really bummed out and wonders what happened. For all you know you are the 6th best shooter out of 27 mediocre shooters. Now when you start finishing better than good Open shooters and limited shooters then you can better gauge your progress.

Thank you for helping me keep my ego under control Sarge.

That's what works for me. When I shoot a match I look for the A's and occasional rare M shooter that finishes behind me. One time could be a fluke but if it happens on occasion then I feel like I am getting the hang of it.

EGO's should never be brought to a match. Trust me I know! LOL I shot a steel match this weekend and had a dirty gun and mags that were giving me fits. Instead of finishing where an Open shooter should I was buried in the pack of some first time shooters who were shooting Glocks and what not. Even though it was a hardware issue it was still quite humbling.

I have this overwhelming confidence that all I have to do is shoot As and I will naturally speed up, is this a sound theory?

You're partially correct.

But you won't necessarily naturally speed up.

You will become more efficient as things are delivered to the subconscious mind, but to get any real speed gains you must place yourself in a speed mode DURING PRACTICE so you learn what faster performance feels like. Once the feeling and subsequent speed gains are realized and internalized, then you can return to accuracy mode and retain the speed gains.

Then, at the match, just shoot and call every shot.

SA