Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armalite AR 24/15 TC

For a few years I have fought the urge to buy a Armalite AR 24 pistol. I told myself all the reasons why not to do it.Made in Turkey,Lack of aftermarket,lack of parts,likely little customer support,kind of expensive when compared to similar handguns. In the end the graceful SIG 210 style forged slide and forged frame won me over. I purchased it without even holding one and that is risky especially with my great big Grape Ape like hands. The pistol seems to be very well made and everything I read about the fit and finish being top shelf is true, I am impressed. Only time well tell if there will be support issues or any needed. Researching which after market mags and grips will and won't work can be dizzying, for now I will just order some more mags from Armalite, I know they will work.

Over the weekend I took the AR 24 to the range along with my new Witness steel 45/22 combo. I only brought 100 Winchester 115 gr FMJ 9mm and shoot those in short order with no issues. The sights are great and the rear adjust easily.The rear sight seems very sturdy I do not see it loosing zero from use. As advertised the double action is a BEAR. I did put a little moly grease on the usual trigger components.Single action is not bad at all, it is a nice combat trigger. More to come.

Any reason you decided to go with the Armalite over the K2, considering they are both Sarsilmaz?

I wanted another 9mm and the Armalite just 'spoke" to me. If the K2 was offered in 9mm I may have considered it but the Sig 210 inspired slide on the Armalite is mighty sexy and that also played into my decision.

I was considering one but I though for a 9 only 15 rounds maybe be low? Can you give us a writeup on how it performs?

Thus far I am very happy with it.The frame mounted Browning style safety is a big plus IMHO.The issue I had with the "hump" on top of the right grip is a non issue when shooting. With a high hold this "hump" helps me focus on using the tip of my finger on the trigger and that is a good thing. I may still get or make some wood grips for it but I did not buy this to be a pretty gun. What few reviews that are available harped on the weight, this pistol is not all that heavy. My current carry gun is a Taurus OSS and the Armalite is no heaver than it is.I thought this purchase over for a number of years and I'm glad I finally did it. If certain regulations get put back in place fifteen rounds my seem like a bunch once more.

Edited by singleshotcajun

• 2 weeks later...

For kicks I tried my Witness steel 45/22 .22 conversion slide on the Armalite. The slide fits good but when the slide stop is inserted the back of the slide is about 1/8" beyond the frame and it is a no go for function. I mainly tried this in an attempt to find out if my slide would work on a Tanfoglio P19L which we know to be a small frame Tanfoglio.

• 1 month later...

Shot again today. I like it better each time I take it out. One hundred shots today,fifty with some old Wolf steel case I found in the back of the closet,one jamb with the wolf.Fifty Winchester 124 gr FMJ were flawless and snappy.The slide to frame fit certainly is no match for my Tanfoglios but this is a true combat pistol.I may have try it in IDPA.Trimmed the "hump" on the right grip panel to suit my hold and big ole hands,not worried about hurting the value as this one is a keeper. I farted around too long about getting some spare mags and at the moment no one has any.I may have to try modifying CZ 75 mags. 9mm on the shelf in my area is non existent so range time may be limited to .22's for a while.Glad I've got my Ruger MK series pistols and the Tanfo .22 upper.

IMG_7588_zps9ed018e2.jpgIMG_100_zps058bcca9.jpgIMG_7570_zps575bd1a6.jpgIMG_7573_zps301f24ea.jpgIMG_101_zps56a7d58f.jpg

For kicks I tried my Witness steel 45/22 .22 conversion slide on the Armalite. The slide fits good but when the slide stop is inserted the back of the slide is about 1/8" beyond the frame and it is a no go for function. I mainly tried this in an attempt to find out if my slide would work on a Tanfoglio P19L which we know to be a small frame Tanfoglio.

that is probably because the 45/22 combo is made on a large frame I would be interested to see how close the internals of the Armalite are to the Tanfoglio? I bet there is a good chance that it matches up with small frame Tanfoglio parts.

Mike

• 8 months later...

FYI Y'all, Hogue wrap around CZ 75 grips fit well installed one on mine it is nice. Makes it thinner and easier to carry concealed.Mec-Gar CZ 75 mag only took changing the angle of the mag catch slot slightly on the top edge,works well,nice mag and 17 rds to boot.

My big fingers were a little too crowded by upper most finger groove and the trigger guard so I got brave and modified the Hogue grips by cutting off the finger groove sections and feathering the edges on my belt grinder. I like this set up with these grips,should carry much better and I really like the feel.

th_IMG_8109_zps3a7b011c.jpgth_IMG_8090_zpsce915538.jpg