Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Mags 9MM

shooter995

Don't buy any SPS mags, unless you have an exorcist on staff, they suk dead bears. I have one it will be in my next garage sale.

I have 3 9 major guns I use with 9 mags 3 are 170's. I could believe in tuned mags, it they actually tuned them to the gun.

Brazos Custom Gun works, good price on sti mags and quick shipping. I don't waste money on 140's, just run the straight STI guts and they all run fine, no tuning, no base pad, hold 21 reloadable. I have a couple of the Dawson +2 pads that are illegal on the 170's and with those on my SVI 140 mags with grams they hold 24.

In 170's I use the Dawson +1 SNL with grams guts and get 28 reloadable. Untuned they run just fine.

I also have SVI 170 mags the old guys, I had to have them worked over so they fit the gun, The outside demensions have to be adjusted with a hammer. I like these because when I change to the 38S barrel I don't have to take the spacers out. The 170 with Grams and Dawson SNL holds 29 reloadble, and 30 crammed in.

About every other month I throw the mag bodies in the tumbler for a few hours to clean the inside. It seems like after a while you can feel a roughness when loading the mag, this I think is powder residue the mag brush doesn't get out. After a good tumbler ride they load smooth and feel slick inside.

I have a couple of the Dawson +2 pads that are illegal on the 170's and with those on my SVI 140 mags with grams they hold 24.

And just why are the 170's with the Dawson +1 Plus S.N.L. bases illegal? That's what my 170's are, and they fit the gauge just fine.

I have a couple of the Dawson +2 pads that are illegal on the 170's and with those on my SVI 140 mags with grams they hold 24.

And just why are the 170's with the Dawson +1 Plus S.N.L. bases illegal? That's what my 170's are, and they fit the gauge just fine.

Dude like I said the Dawson +2 pad is too long! It didn't fit the gauge. The + 1 SNL is a bit shorter works fine on most mags, I won't say all since Dave Dawson seems to think some are too long, and he has been at this a lot longer than I have albiet I'm older than he is.

Edited by CocoBolo

SNLs do not fit the gauge on my SV 170's, not even close. I tried milling an angle at the back to make it fit but the cut went all the way through before I had removed enough material to make it fit.

Even with non-SNL Dawson +1's I can get a loadable 29 though. An important mod is to enlarge the recess in the basepad for the very large first coil of Bolen springs. Done correctly, the spring will go into the pad without any squeezing. (Grams pads are roomier and don't need this mod. Bolen pads barely have enough material.) This can make a half-round of difference. Using Bolen guts in the first place (vs. Grams) can be another half-round.

I started 2 years ago, with 3 standart 140 mm sti 9mm mags, and 1, 160mm sv 38super mag, worked all fine, after a year i bought some grams springs and followers, dawson snl basepads and arredondo spacers (plastic) for the sti mags, and i had a custom basepad made for the 160mm sv mag, and i also put grams springs and followers in there (no spacer) and till today it works great.

Edited by bassochist