Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super question

angus6

Trying to get a load using 100Gr FN CTF frangible bullet. Went with a load from RamShot data for 100GR SinterFire. 7grs of Silhouette at 1.260. Found that at 1.260 they wouldn't feed out of the 3 differnt brands of 1911 mags I've got if full but if loaded to 5 rounds those feed fine, jam is straight in to barrel ramp , no angle at all. I made a couple dummy rds at 1.230 and looks like they will feed is that to much of a reduced lenght to load at ? RamShot list 6.9 to 7.7 as the load range on the SinterFire @ 1.260

Questions.

Does your pistol have a conventional, non-ramped barrel?

If so, is the edge of the bullet nose catching on the seam between the frame ramp and the barrel feed ramp?

If so, has the barrel's feed ramp been throated?

superdude it's a ramped barrel

Surprising. The darn things should feed!

You should be fine with that 1.230 OAL and your current load of 7.0 grains of Silhouette. You're far enough from maximum that you have some room to work with. Ramshot published some OAL and pressure data some years back for 9mm and ZIP powder (and a 115 grain bullet), and they found an increase of approximately 736 psi change for every 0.010 inches of OAL change. ZIP is a little faster burning than Silhouette (and pressure should increase faster for ZIP) so you should be fine.

Surprising. The darn things should feed!

You should be fine with that 1.230 OAL and your current load of 7.0 grains of Silhouette. You're far enough from maximum that you have some room to work with. Ramshot published some OAL and pressure data some years back for 9mm and ZIP powder (and a 115 grain bullet), and they found an increase of approximately 736 psi change for every 0.010 inches of OAL change. ZIP is a little faster burning than Silhouette (and pressure should increase faster for ZIP) so you should be fine.

Buddy was surpised when I told him about it and said to bring it back so he could check it out, figure I'd play with the loads first. Needs to feed the F/P bullets as I've got 2 sets of F/P molds for the Bullet Master and really not wanting to add another set

Well 1.230 wasn't much help , guess I'll get back with Matt to see what he thinks :(

ETA: ordered a chrono to see what these are doing as it cycles slow with them and dosen't clear spent rounds but half the time, My RN plated rds work great, Looking back on what guys are saying that reloaded these in 9mm lots of over max loads to get to run right

Edited by angus6

Maybe the load is too light. Not sure, but if the rounds are stopping on the feed ramp, the question is why. These bullets are hard and should bounce off the feed ramp without sticking. Maybe if the recoil spring is too strong (or old) it is having trouble stripping them out of the magazine, which would be exacerbated by short stroking. (I'm spitballing here.) Are you using conventional Super brass or rimless Super Comp? What was your plated load that worked well?

I ran a 95 grain bullet with 7.6 of Silhouette. It cycled one of my guns, but not another, suggesting that it has a marginal recoil impulse. Don't know if that is an issue for you. Since you're using a ramped barrel I assume it offers good case support. If so, you could try upping the load to 7.5 or possibly up to 8.0 grains for a handful of rounds and see if that solves the problem - and I would run the OAL back out to 1.250-1.260.

Lots of questions, not many answers. sorry. :)

Edited by superdude

but if the rounds are stopping on the feed ramp, the question is why.

Yeah I've got two issue the feeding and the loads, the plated were 124's 130's and 147's all with mid range loads of AA5 and 231

Pistol is new , brass is Super do have a bunch of Super Comp that I haven't tried, it also choked on some leaded FP's

Thanks , I'm open to things being tossed out, I'll be trdifferentfenrt loads Monday and maybe can get together with Matt next week on the feed issue

New gun. Single stack or double???

Suggestions: (not written in stone)

Try the Super Comp brass. The semi-rim on traditional brass increases drag, which might contribute to what you're seeing. Some double stacks hate traditional semi-rimmed cases, especially new semi-rimmed cases. My para won't run new semi-rimmed brass, but it will run fired semi-rimmed cases that have been run through my tumbler - i presume it's breaking the edge on the rim and smoothing it out.

Polish the feed ramp.

Try a larger charge weight. I'd try 8.0 grains. I know my guns will handle heavier loads with even heavier bullets (9.0 Silhouette with 124 grain bullets - but that is close to max, and with rifle primers), so 8.0 with your 100 grain should be okay - i recognize that your bullets are long bullets for their weight.

Any of these, or in combination, might solve the problem. There's no reason why those bullets won't feed.

Flat nose bullets can/will produce more feeding problems than round nose bullets. But a 38 Super with a ramped barrel should/can feed EVERYTHING.

It's a commander ,Actually I'm thinking from what I've heard with the guys using these bullets in 9mm , 7.7 and 8.0gr were my next loads, have a feeling it might go higher. Cases aren't new but have been roll sized.Might try a few of the comp brass but it needs to run on the semis. Need to check but I think I have to swap to a223 shellplate for the comp

Will get the load where I think it should be with the semi rimmed brass, Then I'll have Matt from MD Custom Machine sort the rest out he hadn't ran any FP's with it before I picked it up

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

One of the first things you learn in reloading is that "not every bullet was meant for every gun". It may be the right diameter and weight, but that means little to a gun. The barrel wants the bullet to have the correct ogive shape to negotiate the feed ramp at an OAL that the chamber can accept.

I learned this after ordering 1K of Zero bullets for a 9mm CZ. The OAL to chamber had to be something like 0.940" which resulted in feed issues. I also have some 124gr HPs that feed flawlessly in my CZ but which make my Kimber stovepipe. So you are not nearly alone.

One of the first things you learn in reloading is that "not every bullet was meant for every gun". It may be the right diameter and weight, but that means little to a gun. The barrel wants the bullet to have the correct ogive shape to negotiate the feed ramp at an OAL that the chamber can accept.

I learned this after ordering 1K of Zero bullets for a 9mm CZ. The OAL to chamber had to be something like 0.940" which resulted in feed issues. I also have some 124gr HPs that feed flawlessly in my CZ but which make my Kimber stovepipe. So you are not nearly alone.

The CZs are sensitive to OAL. This was mentioned in an article in the Guns and Ammo 2013 Annual, on pages 171-176. In fact, the article covers several bullet shape and feeding issues, which makes sense given it's title "An in-depth look at bullet nose design and feeding reliability in semiauto pistols".