Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Striker

Pyre602

I have a m&p 9 that has a Dan Burwell Trigger job. Unfortunately too much dry fire without a snap cap has broken the striker. I dropped in a new one, but now it's not firing. Does anyone know if the striker is modified during the trigger job? Also any other suggestions to get my gun back up an running is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the striker block "Leg" on your old striker was tuned to work with the trigger job done. The new striker probably needs to be tuned to match the trigger job done. If you got the work done by Dan Burwell I would suggest you contact him for what is needed to resolve the issue.

Or you can simply tune the striker block "Leg" so its clearing the striker block when the striker comes forward to fire. If you are not confident in modifying the striker on your own, then leave it to a qualified gunsmith.

Edited by CHA-LEE

What sort of symptoms?

Does it work when dry-fired but just not go far enough forward to ignite the primer?

Does the sear not catch the striker when the slide is racked?

Does the sear not release the striker when the trigger is pulled?

Before you put the plastic back on the slide can you push the striker far enough forward to have the firing pin exposed in the breach face?

(I know..all questions and no answers :) )

It doesn't work when dry fired.

The striker does go forward enough to have the firing pin exposed in the breech face.

When I rack it, I can hear the click, when the striker engages the sear.

I think that the sear is not releasing the striker when the trigger is pulled, but I can't confirm it.

(It's all good, I appreciate all the help I've gotten from the forums over the years)

Edited by Pyre602

It is more likely that the sear is not engaging (or failing to hold the striker rearward) than it would be for the striker to fail to release the sear.

The click should not happen as the sear engages (grabs) the striker but rather as you are pulling the slide back the lower portion of the striker will move across the top of the sear and you should hear it click once it gets past the sear and the sear pops back up. Once that has happened can you try very slowly letting the slide back forward and see if you can hear/feel the striker slip past the sear?

If you do that slowly enough the sear might be able to hold the striker enough to successfully dry-fire.

Another thing to check would be with the slide off does the sear drop down completely to release the striker when you pull the trigger?

Edited by High Lord Gomer

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

i just bought a M&P Pro from another BEnos member. Only 3-5000 rounds fired. I assume a lot of dry fire was done. Took it to match yesterday and it broke the firing pin after 3 stages. Me thinks this is an ongoing problem for these strikers based on my internet research

Edited by killab