Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun selection

I have just been recently introduced to the world of 3-gun shooting, and my guns are as follows:

Colt 6720LE

Browning a5 magnum

Kimber 1911 .45acp

If you have to change one of these and only one, what would you replace? What are some of the possible mods you would make to improve on your existing weapons?

Apologize to the mods if this is in the wrong subforum, still getting the hang of this.

I have just been recently introduced to the world of 3-gun shooting, and my guns are as follows:

Colt 6720LE

Browning a5 magnum

Kimber 1911 .45acp

If you have to change one of these and only one, what would you replace? What are some of the possible mods you would make to improve on your existing weapons?

Apologize to the mods if this is in the wrong subforum, still getting the hang of this.

Before choosing you may want to shoot a couple matches and try and make that decision based on your own desires/goals. That being said I think you could make an argument for either the shotgun or the pistol.

Unless you decide you want to shoot Heavy Metal, you will probably want to go with a 9mm pistol. Something like a Glock 34 or similar. The lower recoil and higher magazine capacity will be a big advantage over a 45.

I'm not familiar with that shotgun but unless you have or can find a tube extension for your shotgun, you will also want to consider getting a shotgun with a tube extension. There are many threads on mods for the shotgun, that you will want to read as well.

Welcome to this fun, exciting and addictive sport!

Edited by SteveT-NV

Get to another match and ask to try a couple of guns - shotgun and handgun. Folks will be happy to help a newbie. May want to keep that A5 as a great bird gun and get a dedicated shotgun for 3-gun. Steve is right about the handgun, all you need is a 9mm and a high cap will be a huge improvement over the Kimber.

Summing what others mentioned, you would want to get to a couple matches and get an idea of what division you want to shoot. Your rifle would be fine for Limited/Tac Irons, shotgun can probably be fitted with a tube but may be a challenge to get it to run reliably, pistol is perfect for HM Limited, but would be a bit of handicap in the other divisions. Knowing which division most appeals to you would be the first step in figuring out how best to adjust your kit.

In terms of putting points on the board and assuming the A5 has a tube on it already, the best bang for you buck would be to get a 9mm polymer framed 9mm. A used Glock is $400 and will not only be more competitive but also less expensive to shoot.

I agree with Steve though. You can show up and have fun with what you've got and let your performance dictate what you spend time and money on. I shot my entire first season with a 1911, 1100 CompMaster (complete with plastic side saddle), a bare bones AR15 and a borrowed Eotech. I upgraded as I went along and as my performance dictated. Heck, I still shoot my STI40 in Tactical and I don't bother with a sub major load. For me... there are more points to be found in my long range rifle skills and speed with the shotgun. In a blanket observation, changing pistols would be the obvious choice, but if you are banging away missing targets then you might be better served running what you've got and spending the money on practice ammo. This is a game of balance. You can be awesome with one gun and gain 5% on your competitor, only to lose 30% because you can't run another.

Edited by co-exprs

You have 2 solid challenges in front of you with your current guns. The good news is neither will stop you from getting out and shooting matches. The bad is they will hinder your ability to be very competitive though, but just starting out maybe it doesn't matter. If I could only change one it would be the pistol.

You're 1911 is going to really slow you down just due to mag capacity. It's a great weapon, but going against a herd of 9mm's that hold 24 rounds is going to be tough. Best budget options (in no particular order), Smith and Wesson M&P Pro, XDm 5.25 or Glock 34. If you can, try each one out and get whatever works best for you. They are all solid guns so you can't go wrong either way.

I can't find any readily available extension tubes for an A5, so that's another hurdle for ya. Plus they are a heavy beast. IMHO one of the best budget starter shotguns is the Benelli Nova. Can usually find a used 26" models for under $300 without looking too hard. Throw a Nordic +6 tube on and let it rip.

I'm sure more experienced guys will chime in, but that's what I have for ya.

I have been leaning towards the pistol as well. I think im borrowing an xd40 at the next match and will see how much difference that makes. The shotgun already has a tube extension, and will hold 9 total, but reloads can be a pain. My rifle is pretty solid, so its definitely in one of these two areas i need to make the improvement.

I have been leaning towards the pistol as well. I think im borrowing an xd40 at the next match and will see how much difference that makes. The shotgun already has a tube extension, and will hold 9 total, but reloads can be a pain. My rifle is pretty solid, so its definitely in one of these two areas i need to make the improvement.

With the tube already on the SG then it for sure is the pistol. If you can borrow a hicap for a few matches do it until you figure out what you want. Get a mag or two with a ext basepad for 22-24 round capacity and practice.