Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firebird Akdal 1919 Reassembly Question

Tactica

Hey guys, I feel dumb for asking... but I have to...

When I was disassembling, the barrel with handguard came off as one. I didn't realize I had to take the comp off at first... anyway, when looking at the barrel and handguard, I realized there was an aluminum piece of metal on the outside of the handguard that the take down nut used to mate against. I pulled that out for cleaning. I then took the comp off and decided to push the barrel out... thats when the rubber 0-ring and the interrior small metal bushing popped out of the hand rail... and the barrel came out freely.

I didn't realize there was a metal bushing and rubber o-ring in there and did not see how those two components were arranged inside the handrail in that small cylinder piece...

Note I'm not talking about the gas piston on the guide rod after the carrier... I know where that goes...

I did manage to get the gun completed down to bolt, cleaned and reassembled without issue... well, up to the point that I'm ready to put the barrel and non-recipricating charging handle equipped handrail on... but need some understanding on what order / how to put that 0-ring and interrior metal bushing.

To my knowledge, there's no schematic of the Firebird Precision modified gun's assembly, so hoping someone can explain this to me relatively easily.

Thank in advance for any help...

Hey guys, I feel dumb for asking... but I have to...

When I was disassembling, the barrel with handguard came off as one. I didn't realize I had to take the comp off at first... anyway, when looking at the barrel and handguard, I realized there was an aluminum piece of metal on the outside of the handguard that the take down nut used to mate against. I pulled that out for cleaning. I then took the comp off and decided to push the barrel out... thats when the rubber 0-ring and the interrior small metal bushing popped out of the hand rail... and the barrel came out freely.

I didn't realize there was a metal bushing and rubber o-ring in there and did not see how those two components were arranged inside the handrail in that small cylinder piece...

Note I'm not talking about the gas piston on the guide rod after the carrier... I know where that goes...

I did manage to get the gun completed down to bolt, cleaned and reassembled without issue... well, up to the point that I'm ready to put the barrel and non-recipricating charging handle equipped handrail on... but need some understanding on what order / how to put that 0-ring and interrior metal bushing.

To my knowledge, there's no schematic of the Firebird Precision modified gun's assembly, so hoping someone can explain this to me relatively easily.

Thank in advance for any help...

HA HA i did the exact same thing first time out :blush: the o-ring goes up between metal bushing and the handguard to keep you from reassembling it too tight . I guess if too tight the gun will malfunction. instead of the plastic locking thumbscrew i just use selflocking nuts with nylon inserts (forgot the thread size) I made sure the handguard has the slightest wiggle then I know its not too tight. I throw the nut away every time i tear down.I do still use the o-ring but i doubt it is nessesary...it is only there to prevent overtightening...i know I called Jim ;)

I should have made an instructional sheet on assembly, And i will soon.

No video exists because I did not want the public to see how I designed the gas system.

With so many people stealing my technology as it is, It was the only way to protect it.

You can call me for detailed information

Jim

Nipplehead,

Glad I'm not alone. :)

Do you mean the rubber o-ring goes between the metal bushing and the gas cylinder attached to the barrel?

If I'm going from breach to muzzle, and describing items on the guide rod... I'm thinking it goes

1. Spring

2. end of carrier assembly guide

3. Gas piston

4. small internal metal bushing with insert lip

5. o-ring

6. inside of gas cylinder (attached below barrel)

7. muzzle end of hand rail (fitting over barrel and mating to outside of gas cylinder)

8. outside aluminum stop insert (fits into muzzle end of hand rail from outside)

9. Guide rod thumb tightening nut with integral hex-head locking nut

Note: It's items 4. and 5. that I'm trying to understand better... man, a schematic would really help... but hopefully that makes sense.

Jim, If I can't get it figured out in text, I'll give you a call when you guys open up for regular business. May call later anyway as a couple things I want to run by you.

Cheers,

Nipplehead,

Glad I'm not alone. :)

Do you mean the rubber o-ring goes between the metal bushing and the gas cylinder attached to the barrel?

If I'm going from breach to muzzle, and describing items on the guide rod... I'm thinking it goes

1. Spring

3. Gas piston

5. o-ring

6. inside of gas cylinder (attached below barrel)

7. muzzle end of hand rail (fitting over barrel and mating to outside of gas cylinder)

8. outside aluminum stop insert (fits into muzzle end of hand rail from outside)

Note: It's items 4. and 5. that I'm trying to understand better... man, a schematic would really help... but hopefully that makes sense.

Jim, If I can't get it figured out in text, I'll give you a call when you guys open up for regular business. May call later anyway as a couple things I want to run by you.

Cheers,

the oring sits on top your part 4 and contacts the inside of the muzzle end of the rail...it is not a gas related part simply to prevent over tightening

I think I follow... so, would this be correct order then... change in order indicated below...

1. Spring

3. Gas piston

-> 5. inside of gas cylinder (attached below barrel)

-> 6. o-ring (placed in muzzle end of gas cylinder?)

Wait, you said part 4.... hmm... maybe I still don't know where part 4 sits... maybe you are saying the gas piston goes up into the gas cylinder and then the small metal bushing goes on the other side of the cylinder... if so, then that would look like this...

1. Spring

3. Gas piston

-> 4. inside of gas cylinder (attached below barrel)

-> 5. small internal metal bushing with insert lip

-> 6. o-ring (placed in between small metal bushing and muzzle end of hand rail?)

Sorry... a picture / video would be worth a 1000 words at this point.

Appreciate the patience...

Edited by Tactica

Wait, you said part 4.... hmm... maybe I still don't know where part 4 sits... maybe you are saying the gas piston goes up into the gas cylinder and then the small metal bushing goes on the other side of the cylinder... if so, then that would look like this...

1. Spring

3. Gas piston

-> 6. o-ring (placed in between small metal bushing and muzzle end of hand rail?)

Lets keep it simple forget the oring put it all together the way you think it should minus the handguard. put the oring on the threaded rod , slip handguard on put on your part 8..tighten nut and your done

1. Spring

3. Gas piston

Lets keep it simple forget the oring put it all together the way you think it should minus the handguard. put the oring on the threaded rod , slip handguard on put on your part 8..tighten nut and your done

1. Spring

3. Gas piston

I'm still not sure which side of the gas cylinder the small metal bushing with lip goes. Sounds like you are saying it goes on the muzzle side of the barrel attached gas cylinder. (then o-ring, then hand rail, then larger nut stop, then nut).

If correct, then I follow, just didn't think that's they way the parts fell out. :) I thought they were both part of the gas cylinder's operation... if neither is part of the gas system, then I get it... just not what I thought.

I'll call Jim later.

I'll fuss around with it tonight and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the time and responses, it did help.

Edited by Tactica

For the record, this was it... (moving down the guide rod)

1. Recoil Spring

3. Firebird Gas piston

4. Gas block - receives Piston on breach side (cylinder attached below barrel)

<hold gun vertically, muzzle up>

5. Gas Bypass - instered on muzzle side of gas block (small metal bushing with insert lip)

6. Rubber black o-ring (placed on top of gas bypass)

7. Muzzle end of hand rail (fitting over barrel & compressing o-ring)

8. Outside aluminum seal sleave (fits into muzzle end of hand rail from outside)

+ + +

Related Observation / tip?: I found instead of 'holding' the bolt open to take barrel out / put it in... it was easier for me to use a small chamber clear flag as an extra set of fingers. The bolt would stay slightly back allowing me to never have to worry about the bolt hitting the factory feed ramp.

Cheers,