Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

380 in with my 9mm... Grrrr!

Scratchthejeepguy

I take my cases out of my media separator one handful at a time. I pour the shells from hand to hand a couple of times and I can hear split case and cases that are not my 38 SC. Because I have been doing it a while I can even hear the 9X21 cases when they hiding in my SC.

If you guys have $700+ to drop, the ultimate sorter looks pretty nice.

Not for the fellow that started this thread. Their sorter dumps 380 and 9mm into the same bin.

I don't know how their sorter works but the one I built on the last page sorts by diameter accurately enough to sort 380 from 9mm from 38 super but couldn't make them for $700.

Edited by jmorris

Huh. When I miss a 380 case during the sort and it gets into my case feeder, I always catch it in one of two ways. First, it will size *really* easy due to it's smaller diameter, if I feel one of those it's either a sized 9 that got thrown back into the feeder, or a 380. Second, if it somehow gets past that I'll notice it during bullet seating as it won't have enough bell on it and the bullet won't sit on the case like the rest.

+1 I use the exact same method on my 650XL. I visually inspect each handful that I dump into the hopper and even then a few sneak by but I always catch them at stage 1.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a private range. I don't have a 380 gun. My buddy does though and we try our hardest to grab the cases so I don't have to seperate them later. Just in case though, I always stand them all up on the table, use a ruler to slide them around, and look for shorties mixed in with the 9mm. I find about one 380 case, for every hundred 9mm cases and seperate them out. I have two questions for you....

1. how do you guys seperate these two calibers?

2. Tonight I was loading 9mm on my 650XL and I saw one case that looked like it had a higher level of powder in it. It had already been checked by the powder check system and no buzzer sounded. I took it out weighed it, and the weight was correct, then I realized it wasnt a higher level of powder, but a shorter level of case.... A stinking 380 snuck past me!

I'm glad I always watch my powder level but it got me to thinking what would happen if I missed this one. Anyone know?

I can generally spot then when I am loading and I throw the .380's in a bucket for a friend. If I miss it when I grab the brass I can feel that it has no resistance in the sizing die so I pull it and throw it in the bucket. I get about 1 .380 every 10 shells or so.

Pat

• 4 months later...

Not for the fellow that started this thread. Their sorter dumps 380 and 9mm into the same bin.

I don't know how their sorter works but the one I built on the last page sorts by diameter accurately enough to sort 380 from 9mm from 38 super but couldn't make them for $700.

The Ultimate Sorter has a optional sorting tray (2nd step sort) that seperates the 380 from 9mm.

I have a private range. I don't have a 380 gun. My buddy does though and we try our hardest to grab the cases so I don't have to seperate them later. Just in case though, I always stand them all up on the table, use a ruler to slide them around, and look for shorties mixed in with the 9mm. I find about one 380 case, for every hundred 9mm cases and seperate them out. I have two questions for you....

1. how do you guys seperate these two calibers?

2. Tonight I was loading 9mm on my 650XL and I saw one case that looked like it had a higher level of powder in it. It had already been checked by the powder check system and no buzzer sounded. I took it out weighed it, and the weight was correct, then I realized it wasnt a higher level of powder, but a shorter level of case.... A stinking 380 snuck past me!

I'm glad I always watch my powder level but it got me to thinking what would happen if I missed this one. Anyone know?

I loaded one with a 9mm 124gr with Titegroup and shot it out of my XD9. It blew the magazine out of the bottom of the gun, It also broke off the ejector and pushed the firing pin partially out of the back. Not a total kaboom but big enough. Scott at Springer Precision got it back to working fine...