Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9 FS, FT feed, 6k rounds

MP9

Hey guys..

I have around 6k rounds in my m&p 9 (2 years with the gun).. I use it for competition and range time, so the mags are no loaded all time.. and in IDPA you only load 10 rounds.

since 2 or 3 months ago I started to have some failure to feed issues. usually it happen with the last 2 rounds. once It was a failure to eject or double feed, there was a brass stuck in the chamber with a another round under it..

I was using WWB, and federal other times.

last saturday I got a failure to feed, I had to remove the mag, reinsert it, tap the mag , the slide and finally clear the chamber(a live round)...the mag had 3 rounds total.

when I clean my gun I clean the inside part of the extractor, sometimes it get full residue gunpowder..

2 weeks ago I cleaned my mags too.

I will number my mags to see if it happen only with one..

when should I replace the mags spring?

I ordered 3 extra mags but I would like to replace the spring on my currents mags...

should I remove and clean the extractor?

could this be a mag problem or extractor?

I have around 6k rounds in my m&p 9 (2 years with the gun)

Springs are cheap, worth doing every year or two.

there was a brass stuck in the chamber with a another round under it..

Failure to extract...I have been having them lately and will be sending mine to Apex for their Failure Resistant Extractors. I have tried to get mine out and failed miserably.

last saturday I got a failure to feed, I had to remove the mag, reinsert it, tap the mag , the slide and finally clear the chamber(a live round)...the mag had 3 rounds total.

If it was just a failure to feed the chamber would have been empty. If it did chamber a round but the trigger did nothing, that could be a failure of the sear to reset. Does yours have the large or small sear return spring? I had many instances of failures to reset before I switched all of mine out to the newer, larger sear return springs (actually have to swap out the sear housing blocks).

I would remove the extractor and clean it thoroughly. Then while you have it out replace it with the Apex extractor for cheap insurance. If you cut down a punch so only a half inch remains it stiffens it up enough to drive the pin out.

thanks guys.

today at lunch I removed the slide and inserted a snap cap, I noticed the bullet is no so tight, it is kind of loose, if I push a little bit toward the right side of the slide, it fell out.

I am waiting for some mags spring and try it with WWB and other brands... I wouldnt like to be sending my gun to S&W, I have the apex dcaek, so I will have to remove it...unless I send it to apex(+shipping), plus I am about to replace the sights, the front sight is very tigh.t I will try myself but if I have to pay that is like $$25/35+

so let see what happen..

get dentist picks from Harbor Freight or any where and make sure you scrap out the build up between the breech face and extractor. I have a 9L and have had it for just a little over 5 years and have thousands of rounds through it but never had a failure to extract or feed. The only problems ive had are light hits (happened last month so 5 years of crap) but that is because i never cleaned the firing pin channel. Since i have cleaned that out i have no problems. I have the Apex Competition AEK in mine and thats it. If your not looking to spend money then just clean the extractor. The mags on the other hand i would definitely number them and see if its the same mag but i would also take apart the mags to clean them out. (use a punch to press down the pin on the basepad or a flat head screwdriver to depress the lever on the basepad and slide off. I soaked them in palmolive and hot water for 15 min and then scrubbed and dried them and reassembled). Let me know how it works.

• 3 weeks later...

I got new mags, they were cheap, 19.99$ each... I had an uspsa match and 0 issue using reloads, and an idpa match.. 0 issues, reloads again... I received news spring for my olders mags, I dont see so much difference between the older springs and news one... maybe if I go to the range I will try some wwb again..

If you pull the extractor out to clean it call S&W before hand and tell them what happens. Similar round count same thing happened to me. They sent a new extractor spring free of charge and I'm back up and running. Smith recommends replacing that spring every 5000 to 10000 rounds. That's a pretty broad statement. I replace that spring and the recoil spring every 5000 rounds and there are zero issues. I keep good round counts on my guns and do scheduled maintenance on them just like my truck and they always run.