Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So how clean is clean?

Fursniper

So really, can one really get all the copper out? I mean it seems one can almost continually run patches through a bore with copper fouling remover and forever get blue patches, even out of a new barrel with relativly few rounds through it. Where does one draw the line on this??

50/50 mix of Shooter's choice and Kroil. Benchrest shootershave been using to for years. for a really "coppered" barrels, I use Sweet's 7.62. Caution: use in a well venilated area, and do not leave in the barrel too long as it contains ammonia. Most shoots will caution you not to use it on stainless barrels. In a case of a stainless barrel that was so fouled it wouldn't shoot well any way, I used the Sweet's but kept it in the barrell for 4-5 minutes before swabbing out with alcohol patches.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Larry, sounds like a good routine. Seems like a guy can get patches with blue on them indefinately though. I just keep wondering when is enough. This is a fairly new AR barrel but it is stainless. Less than 200 rounds.

Coat the barrel with Sweets - make sure it's fresh - let is sit for a couple of minutes, follow with Hydrogen peroxide. Foams and makes a mess but really gets copper out.

That's my routine too, at least on everything not stainless.

I'm not sure why, but the newer Barnes rifle bullets don't seem to copper foul as much as they used to.