Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old RCBS Dies question

I have an old set of RCBS dies that I found with the Dillon my uncle gave me.

One die set in 380 and one set in 9mm.

The 9mm set comes in a green box with a bluish green label marked Carbide Die Set 9MM luger.

No questions there.

The second die set the box is also green but the label is yellow and it is marked S Die Set 380 auto pistol.

Inside the box with the 380 die set there is one die marked 9mm Luger. I am wondering if this was normal or if this was an incomplete set I have heard of people interchanging the 9mm taper dies to load 380 but I am a NOOB.

Here it is pictured on the far right of this picture. Take note this is an older die set from the mid 80's.

IMAG0828.jpg

My guess (and it's only that) is that it is indicating a steel die set, as opposed to carbide. Is there a carbide ring in the sizer?

Guy

S stands for steel... this I know. My question is why did this set have a 9mm taper? Do all 380 acp rcbs die sets come with a 9mm taper?

Edited by jonb.

Spoke to RCBS they said that it's the expander die and that yes it works with 380acp but the guy on the phone with me sounded impressed that I had such an old set that was serviceable he went ahead and sent me a 380 expander die for the set LOL gotta love American manufacturers.