Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making this comp work for 9x19 major

mcoliver

mcoliver-

Whether that comp works or not will depend on the comp size / barrel port size / barrel length / powder choice. I own a 9major JL Hardy gun, and I love it. It is commander length, has comp that is not large by today's standards, and 3 small-size TJ holes.

In my un-educated opinion, if the front port is bigger than .350 or .400, it is too big, especially on 5" barreled gun.

I do like the look of the Turbo Comp.

Yes, it's a limcat turbo comp. I'm severly limited with the kind of comps I can get back here and this is one of my choices, although I believe it's an old limcat design?

So I'm right to assume that with 9major (w/c btw hasn't caught up here, I'd probably be the first to try it & this is my first open gun), I should be using smaller-sized ports relative to what the super guys are using?

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

:)

I don't know about smaller than a super. Its with the lower powerfactor you don't need as big of ports anymore for the comp to wok efficiently.

I am only running a 3 port with 2 side ports on my gun. My old one at 175pf had 4 larger ports.

mcoliver-

I don't think you have to go to a "small" comp, just not the ones with a huge 1st comp chamber. (for example: Brazos new ProSx Comp has about a .470 first chamber) My gun runs a EGW 5-port (2-radial, 3-vertical). I know this exact comp is being used on a bunch of supers (including Travis Tomasie's Caspian). Its front chamber is about .320. (I will measure later if you like)

There is a good thread about how comps work HERE.

Oh, I see. I tried asking around for some custom work but most are familiar with the old 170+ PF. The few samples I've seen were really huge and long compared to what I've seen on the posted pics in the forum.

Btw, Bill, I'd really appreciate you taking the measurements on your comp.

Thanks a lot guys.

I must say though I really enjoyed the old power factor. Yeh right. It was very abusive on open shooters.

124gr bullets at over 1500fps. At that time no VV powders in the early 90's. Lots of flash bang and concusion.

One other point of view, if I may add: Don't know about 9x19 major, but in 38 super the 115's work great with the "old" style of comp (4 port, large first port, like Dawson's stuff and add a couple bbl holes). The 124's aren't the ticket, at least for me. All depends on what you desire - less flip, or less recoil. I prefer less flip and will shoot a hotter 115 load vs. a soft 124 which for me is too bouncy. But again, this is with super, not 9x19.

So I think this comes down to shooter preference, and gun / ammo setup to match that preference being the key. There isn't one "best" - there are too many variables and subjective issues - and a gun / ammo setup that doesn't match those preferences will make you hate your open gun. Make the gun fit your shooting style, in my opinion.

Great replies guys!

Bill, thanks a lot for taking the time.

Bret, yeah, 115 could be a good starting point to experiment. Unfortunately, for us playing under IPSC rules, we're limited to a minimum of 120gr bullet weight.

Again, thanks a lot guys. :)

• 2 weeks later...

100_1233.jpg

100_1230.jpg

sorry for the thread hijack, mc_o, but instead of creating a new thread, I thought it would be relevant to post my questions here instead.

I have a Bul M5 slide in .38 super with a hybrid cut already. But I plan to put in a barrel with a cone comp only and probably drill 2-3 poppleholes later on as needed. I believe the compensator was designed for the old 170PF.

My questions:

1. Will this slide and barrel/comp combo set-up work, fit wise? Should there be a small gap at the slide comp junction to prevent cracks?

2. Will the slide with the hybrid cut be weaker and more prone to cracking than a slide without a cut?

3. if we decide to drill tj/popple holes, can it be done with a cone comp? What change in handling do I expect to see (less flip? flatter?)

This is all mc_oliver's fault that we're being drawn to the dark side!!! Thanks in advance guys!

Fitting the slide where it meets the cone if done correctly shouldn't need a gap that is visible. This is where a great gunsmith uses his talent, blending the comp to the slide. You will have to fit the lugs and hood of the barrel correctly and when they are fully matted to the slide lugs fit the comp, since you have a cone comp you will need to give the front of the slide a slight angle where it will meet the comp, then it's just a matter of blending cuts to the slide's sides and the comp. You can probably mill the last ports of that comp if you are not shooting 115 grain bullets. josh

NP. You can cut the angle on the comp also, but most will cut the slide when a cone comp is utilized. If you will imagine when a barrel is in full lock up with the slide it is tilted down slightly causing the comp's ends to become unparallel with the end of the slide. If you want a nice looking open gun this is where great gunsmiths can make that seam disappear with their tricks of the trade. Good luck and post some pictures when your project is complete. josh