Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production revolver rules

Ty Hamby

I have been shooting my 627-4 (38super-minor) 8 shot revolver in L10 minor due to the ghost holster. If I ditch the holster and get a production compliant holster is everything else I have good to go? Here are some items of concern that may not be legal in Production.

1) bobbed hammer?

2) smoothed and rounded trigger?

3) removal of external hammer storage lock? (ILS)

4) removal of internal hammer block?

5) extended cylinder release?

6) Large oversized grip?

7) Moon holder rack can be placed anywhere?

8) empty moon dump pouch on belt.

9) double CR or DAA belt legal?

10) chamber round other than cylinder spec'ed for. (ie. .38short colts in a .38 special chamber)?

Anything else that I need to know to keep me from getting in trouble, please let me know. My wife and I have several 627's. All are at various levels of modification. The above is just everything I could think of that one or more has or had done to it.

Edited by Ty Hamby

#4-• ALL factory safety mechanisms, whether internal or

external, must remain functional.

Removing or disabling firing-pin blocks or any other

factory safety mechanism in Production division is

specifically prohibited.

and UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or

SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it

is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.

So, can you show me the rule or ruling that allows removal of the hammer block? I just can't find it. According to S&W the hammer block is a safety. I know there was discussion on this but I just can not find the ruling.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

The question I have is the Internal LOCK a safety? It is not designed to be used as a safety it is a LOCK. Some of my other guns came with a cable lock that does the same thing as the IL, does it have to be on them to shoot? :devil:

The question I have is the Internal LOCK a safety? It is not designed to be used as a safety it is a LOCK. Some of my other guns came with a cable lock that does the same thing as the IL, does it have to be on them to shoot? :devil:

Yes, unless you can point to a specific section of the appendix that authorizes its removal. Remember, the onus is on the competitor to prove the gun is legal in Production.....

Bosshoss, I think you're mixing up two separate issues -- 3) the internal lock system, and 4) the hammer block.

Removal of the ILS is clearly against the Production rules because it would be an externally visible modification. Removal of the hammer block (which is unquestionably a safety mechanism) is illegal under the rule which RGS correctly cited above.

Bosshoss, I think you're mixing up two separate issues -- 3) the internal lock system, and 4) the hammer block.

Removal of the ILS is clearly against the Production rules because it would be an externally visible modification. Removal of the hammer block (which is unquestionably a safety mechanism) is illegal under the rule which RGS correctly cited above.

And as Mike stated, this is for Production NOT revolver division. (and IDPA but that is another issue)

OK so Production revolver

1) bobbed hammer? -illegal

2) smoothed and rounded trigger? -illegal

3) removal of external hammer storage lock? (ILS)-illegal

4) removal of internal hammer block? -illegal

5) extended cylinder release?-illegal

6) Large oversized grip? Legal

7) Moon holder rack can be placed anywhere? Legal

8) empty moon dump pouch on belt. Legal

9) double CR or DAA belt legal? Legal

10) chamber round other than cylinder spec'ed for. (ie. .38short colts in a .38 special chamber)? Legal

This is what I got out of the above posts. Thanks you! looks like L10 -minor is where we will continue to play.