Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem on the 550

Came back home today, found my new dies 1k brass and 1k bullets sitting on the doorstep

I have only loaded about 500 rounds before on this press, then i switched from 40 cal to 9mm

I setup the new dies and then something weird happened. A small square piece that is part of the powder bar popped out. I put it back in, and it just came out all over again, upon further review it is cracked. Now the powder die refuses to cycle properly. Is there a way to fix this or will i need to order a new powder assembly? It feels like something else is broken, as the dye would not cycle right even once i re-installed the small square piece.

Came back home today, found my new dies 1k brass and 1k bullets sitting on the doorstep

I have only loaded about 500 rounds before on this press, then i switched from 40 cal to 9mm

I setup the new dies and then something weird happened. A small square piece that is part of the powder bar popped out. I put it back in, and it just came out all over again, upon further review it is cracked. Now the powder die refuses to cycle properly. Is there a way to fix this or will i need to order a new powder assembly? It feels like something else is broken, as the dye would not cycle right even once i re-installed the small square piece.

edit:

Here are some pictures of the issue, I can make the powder bar cycle right now, but Im afraid of destroying it without this piece in. I have not tried it with powder yet.

Operation

photo_zpsa39d3d9b.jpg

4_zps93004e1d.jpg

1_zpsa8dde45f.jpg

Broken Piece

3_zps1b375b6e.jpg

Broken Piece inside a 1" locking nut for comparison

2_zpsf27072d0.jpg

yep, it's broken all right! :goof:

Unless you got a spare, or can kludge up something from some 1/8" sheet delrin or nylon you might have handy, you are kind of hosed. I wouldn't run it.

Call dillon tomorrow morning, ask for a new part. Also recommend that you get a few extras of stuff like this. I think they have a misc. small parts kit for the 550.

If you have a buddy with a dillon you could ask if they have an extra for you to borrow for a few days.

I believe Mr Dirty Rod is right.

Might want to try it again and if it pops out then rotate it 90 degrees from where it was was and try that. There really shouldn't be a lot of stress on that part. Don't want to use the machine without that part, though.

I believe Mr Dirty Rod is right.

Might want to try it again and if it pops out then rotate it 90 degrees from where it was was and try that. There really shouldn't be a lot of stress on that part. Don't want to use the machine without that part, though.

ill go ahead and send dillon an email, with a link to this thread so they know exactly what I'm talking about. Ill try putting it back in a few more times.

It may have cracked from putting too much pressure on it when you set up the dies. You only need to be sure the powder bar travels just enough to drop the powder and put a slight bell on the brass (pistol). If it's set too tight so that you're putting too much of a bell on the brass, that part will crack from the pressure.

Alan~^~