Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

weak hand woes

OUshooter

From a Distinguished bullseye shooter, no cant, slow down and get your pinkie off the grip. Like Brian said, arm straight out (the mnemonic I teach is "touch the target" since it aligns all the skeletal joints straight), trigger straight to the rear.

Most of the torquing of the grip comes from your little finger and ring finger. Relax them and grip only moderately with your middle finger. Try a few dry fires and see if that doesn't help.

YMMV, of course. This is what has worked for me.

Mark

Edited by redial

I went out today and just ran WH drills. I did find that little to no cant worked better for me. I've been dry firing quite a bit and have tried to really keep the sights perfect. I keep finding myself trying to rush. It's like the freestyle part of my brain takes over and I can't stop it. I did get better recoil management from adding grip to the bottom fingers and less from the index. Seems counter intuitive to me but if it works......

I will continue to build until I can run 15yr bill drills at only a tick slower than my SH.

Thanks a ton for the advice so far, and hope to see more.

My focus is not so much on a perfect sight pic as on a perfect trigger pull and release. As long as my sights wobble inside the target Im ok and continue the pull until it breaks.

So, riddle me this, Batman...

I'm great WHO with my 22 conversion on top of the frame and trigger set up for my Production G34/35, dinging USP's in the calibration zone with most shots between 15 to 20 yards. I am decent at the same ranges with centerfire ammo in practice, using the same trigger at the same ranges, but with a lower percentage of hits. I absolutely suck wind on classifier (and field) weak hand stages, throwing shots completely off metric targets at 10 to 15 yards. SHO is not quite as bad, but the same pattern is there.

Unconsciously tightening the grip? Trigger jerk from rushing the shot?

If you're performing the mechanical aspects properly and well in practice but it all goes to ratsh*t on Match Day, the issue likely isn't with your hands and eyes ;) Same with the 22 vs centerfire differences - why?

When I squeeze hard with all my fingers on WHO targets, I get lousy hits. When I have to shoot one-handed (SHO) at 50 yards in a Bullseye match, even with 230 Hardball I only make firm contact on the grip with my middle finger. Those lower two fingers WILL pull my shots way out if I tighten them. USPSA isn't Bullseye and grip varies from person to person, so YMMV of course.

One of the (few) benefits of being on the downhill slope of my shooting career is that by now, my practice and match performances are pretty close. I don't have "practice" and "match" mindsets - they are largely the same.

HTH

Mark

Not Batman either

Edited by redial