Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will an adjustable gas block help with my rig?

jdknotts1

Lately feeling like my recoil is a little heavy for fast splits on target. Been debating on an adjustable gas block to reduce the recoil a bit. Is it worth putting one on my carbine? I'm using a 16" bbl with a carbine length gas system on it. Is it worth it at this point or should I wait til I get a new barrel or new rifle altogether?

Just cut a couple coils off the spring and see what happens. Adjustable gas block is really only needed when you have a lot of back pressure-full auto with a silencer, blank attachments. Depending on local resources.... a mid length 16" is probably going to feel better or even a rifle length gas. I mean I have two 16 rifles with adjustable gas-but they get adjusted once and that's it. You can mess around a whole lot and that , but unless you are going to have a lot of time to do custom loads, experiment with springs, and spend lots and lots of time.... I've seen guys who practiced a lot use their duty weapons-M4's- do just fine in competition. The comp may be where you could go and get some real help with recoil. Also a lighter bolt. Just ignore the recoil.

Lately feeling like my recoil is a little heavy for fast splits on target. Been debating on an adjustable gas block to reduce the recoil a bit. Is it worth putting one on my carbine? I'm using a 16" bbl with a carbine length gas system on it. Is it worth it at this point or should I wait til I get a new barrel or new rifle altogether?

An adjustable gas block on a carbine-length gas system will make a slight difference.

An adjustable gas block on a rifle-length gas system, when combined with JP's low mass bolt carrier, hammer and buffer, and a good comp make a significant difference in felt recoil. If you are willing to invest in the entire low mass system, I would go ahead and get a barrel with a rifle-length gas.

My rifle is setup this way, with a Miculek comp, and it is flat and soft, and FAST.

Hope this helps

If you are married to a 16" barrel, sell your carbine gas barrel and replace it with a midlength gas barrel. It will shoot a little softer, and is the optimum combination of softness and reliability at the 16" length.

If you can go to 18" or 20", then a rifle length gas system is the way to go (with or without adjustable gas). I would avoid a rifle length gas system for anything less than 18" though for reliability reasons.