Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

esp magwell or limited?

sdm74

This is a slightly tricky question. They have a number of different magwell models for the M&P, I personally have two of those. I have the brass model that has the same dimensions as the ESP model and the standard steel ESP model. I shoot a couple of major IDPA matches every year and I can't use the brass one in IDPA (nothing can be made of material heavier/more dense than common steel). I believe that SSS has or used to have a model with larger dimensions that they marketed as the "Limited" model, and I'm pretty sure that a guy that I used to shoot with has/had one. If I recall correctly it was made of aluminum. Personally, I have around 10K rounds through my pistol over the past 1.5 yrs and the brass model has been on it the entire time except for 3 IDPA matches where I had to take it off to shoot ESP. If you want to shoot IDPA with the pistol, you will need to stick with the steel "ESP" model. If you are only going to shoot the pistol for USPSA and/or 3-gun, I would strongly suggest the brass model for a little extra stationary mass that helps with recoil mitigation. I hope that was clear as mud. Read it twice and then ask for clarification on anything that still isn't clear.

I have the limited on mine for uspsa and 3-gun. It has a larger opening than the esp so reloads are an absolute breeze.

For the games I shoot I just don't see any need to get the smaller opening of the esp over the larger limited. You will need to use Taylor freelance basepads with it though which are also a great piece of kit.

Basepads also depend on the game. TF's are fantastic; again have option of aluminum or brass. But, they are too long for IDPA. SSS makes a basepad that doesnt add capacity but functions nicely with their smaller magwells. Personally, I have three mags with the brass TF's for limited and 3-gun. Then, I have 5 of the SSS basepads for idpa and/or production. All mags function in both magwells.