Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cases won't fit the sizing die

fiddler

This might not be the best place to ask this as it's about a hunting load but here goes:

I'm trying to reload for my Savage 25-06 bolt gun using my Dillon 550 and the Redding dies Dillon sold me.

I got some new, unfired Winchester brass and made up test loads with no problems. I fired the test rounds and settled on a load. Now I'm ready to produce ammunition.

Here's the problem. Once fired Winchester brass won't go into the sizing die. It goes in about 3/4 to 7/8 of the case and then stops. If I crank on the press lever the case starts to bulge and it gets really hard to pull the case from the die. The neck of the case ends up with a ring. This happens even when I remove the decapping pin and just try to run the brass through without removing the spent primer.

I set the die to touch the shellplate with the ram all the way up, then 1/4 turn further. I use a liberal amount of Hornaday One-Shot spray lube. I get the same problem with R-P, PP and BHA headstamp once fired brass so it's not just the Winchester brass.

Why would this happen with the once fired brass and not the new brass? After encountering this problem I loaded up the rest of my new brass with no problem.

Any answers?

Thanks

Roy Curet

Missoula, MT

Edited by fiddler

I would adjust the die so it touched the shell holder with the ram all the way up and BACK it off a 1/4 turn. Run apiece of brass and check it in the gun. If it won't chamber screw the die down a little and try again. Do this till the brass chambers into the gun. I've found that new brass is sized small most of the time. If you don't have a comparator I would get one. It will tell you what is going on.

Yes, it's a Redding full length sizer. I'll try backing off the die but there is plenty of brass sticking out the end of the die when I try it now. I can't get the ram all the way up. With the decapping pin set as per Redding it does'nt even touch the primer to push it out.

I have a comparator. What should I be looking for with it?

Edited by fiddler

FIRST, look at the marks on the die. Is it REALLY a .25-06 sizing die?

Will an unfired case go in?

If so, apply a real case lube instead of that spray.

Redding now handles Imperial Case Sizing Wax and it is very good, maybe the best.

If that doesn't help, take it up with Dillon or Redding.

Well that was easy.

A little Redding Case Wax and they slid right in.

Thanks everyone.

justmike: So I assume you measure a fired case then set the sizing die to bump the shoulder back by the stated amount. I am full length resizing because it's hunting ammo. I'll measure some and see how different they are. Thanks for the tip.

Roy

That was an easy fix! I'm guilty of assuming the most difficult solution is the answer a lot of the times. I learned something too, I wouldn't have thought the lube was the solution. That's why I'm on this forum. A lot of these guys know their $hit.

That is good you got it figured out. I've never had a problem with the one-shot. I've used it for thousands of rounds of machine gunned .308 and a Small Base sizing die.

I'm sure this isn't any issue but you aren't using One Shot cleaner for lube are ya? :roflol:

That is good you got it figured out. I've never had a problem with the one-shot. I've used it for thousands of rounds of machine gunned .308 and a Small Base sizing die.

I'm sure this isn't any issue but you aren't using One Shot cleaner for lube are ya? :roflol:

I was about to type "Of course not" but I'd better go check first.