Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Android LAN app?

bbbean

In an effort to carry one less gadget to the range each match, I'd like to convince my android tab to act as a LAN router/AP during matches. I can find dozens of apps to let me tether the tablet, but none that simply set it up as an AP. Suggestions?

BB

Junefabrics PDAnet might let you do it. It let's you.turn your phone into a mobile wifi hotspot.

The description just talks about tethering. I don't care about sharing internet access, I just want to use my tab as a AP to sync the iPhones and Nooks.

BB

• 1 month later...

Junefabrics PDAnet might let you do it. It let's you.turn your phone into a mobile wifi hotspot.

The description just talks about tethering. I don't care about sharing internet access, I just want to use my tab as a AP to sync the iPhones and Nooks.

BB

This is not possible with most WiFi chipsets used in devices like tablets and eReaders. First, the chipset itself has to be capable of it, and it also has to have appropriate firmware. Most manufacturers don't want the cost burden of a higher-end chipset, along with the maintenance/support cost, and only an extremely small segment of the market would want a device that acts as a WAP that doesn't have internet access.

iPhones are probably technically capable of it, but as to whether it can be enabled or not, I don't know. I know many Android phones can. I use my HTC G2 as a WiFi hotspot all the time at matches, and for my iPad.