Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cars That Eat Batteries For Lunch

Liota

My car is a 97 Saturn SL2. I love that car. Other than the battery going out about every two years, it's a great car! :angry:

This morning I was going to go get something to eat. No go. Stupid battery is dead again. :angry:

Luckily for me, one of my friends is an auto mechanic and came right over. He even gave me the key to another friend's vehicle so I could get around if necessary. The car is now sitting in the driveway getting charged and running. I love my friends. :)

In modern cars the electric system is just a nightmare. My wifes Amigo used to eat a battery every year until we figured out that the anti-lock system had a ground wired to a positive and that it was basically running off the battery. Sometimes strange deep things can drain you battery and if you keep one having to replace them you may want to start checking out which part of your car is the culprit.

Vlad

The friend who came over to diagnose the problem said that sometimes the first battery leaks and after it corrodes the terminals on the car, it just keeps corroding and causing a problem with it charging. Eventually, the battery just gives up and doesn't hold a charge anymore. Other than the battery wearing out, the guys at the shop couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Eric, my friend checked my alternator right after we jumped it. He said the alternator is going just fine.

Thanks to you both for the help, Eric and Vlad.

Liota

Vince,

I might have to get one. Only one hiccup to it this morning, though. I would have had to jump it every time I wanted to start the darned thing. What a pain. I replaced the battery and it works fine.

Thanks,

Liota

The friend who came over to diagnose the problem said that sometimes the first battery leaks and after it corrodes the terminals on the car, it just keeps corroding and causing a problem with it charging.

I can fix that problem for $15. Acutally, you can fix that problem for $15. You need a can of CorrosionX. It should be available at most airplane supply shops, or you can order it from:

Aircraft Spruce

It TOTALLY cured my battery corrosion issues. I can count the number of products on one hand that I would associate the word "miracle" with and this is one of them.