Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2 tactical stock question

Texasbdog

I just purchased an m2 tactical with 18.5" barrel and pistol grip stock. Is this going to work for shooting in 3 gun matches, at least for the present? I shot my first 3 gun shoot today, had a blast but the RO said I should get rid of the pistol grip and ghost ring sights in favor of a straight stock and a beaded sight. What would the advantages be and is it worth it to modify my new gun, or just sell it and start over? I did a search and found very little on the pistol grip stock, one way or the other.

Tell the RO to shoot his own gun. devil.gif Really I am sure he is trying to be helpful...

And...he's right...wink.gif The M2 Field - 21 or 24" vent rib configuration is commonly thought of as the best/easiest to shoot well. The pistol grip is used by some but - the most common by a wide margin is the straight stock - preferably the Comfortech stock.

Your search Fu is weak. Bunches of posts about the pistol grip and "best" shotgun configuration....

Use it you already own it.

Most guys don't shoot dedicated game guns with a pistol grip and gost rings but you can. I ran an 870 with a pistol grip and gost rings for my first year.

The pistol grip isn't always a persons first choice for several reasons. My reason is loading technique and getting to the safety. Other people may have different reasons or advocate the pistol grip for their shooting style.

The gost rings arnt always a persons first choice because they might not transition as fast or be the best option for flyers. Like I said earlyier I shot gost rings for an entire year and didn't see any major faults in them. In fact gost rings made slug targets a lil easyer.

It's more about reaching your personal ZEN with your equipment and the stage than the equipment itself.

I went through this myself, and chose to keep the gun and set it up like I wanted a little at a time. I now have a lot of extra parts I will have to try and sell, and an absolutely stupid amount of money into it. If I could do it over again, I would sell the gun and buy an M2 that is closer to my desired configuration (non pg stock and longer vent-rib barrel). But if you're just trying to have fun and don't care about every miniscule equipment advantage, you have a great running shotgun that will get the job done.

I shot my first 3 gun shoot today, had a blast

There ya' go. If you're having fun, who cares how "game" your gun is? It's human nature to want to be competitive, but there's much to be said for "run what ya' brung" as well. Many years ago I was super competitive in Benchrest... to the tune of about $25K+ a year, and it all started with trying to get a Ruger #1V to shoot 1/4" groups. :rolleyes: It's a slippery slope my friend.

Although medical issues keep me from shooting as much as I'd like, with a few modifications, I still use a M2T. I eventually found a guy that wanted a PG stock for his M2 and we did a swap, but I still have the 18.5" and GR sights. The straight stock LOP is long for me, but I'll wait for Mesa Tactical to come out with their 12.75" Urbino straight stock rather than hack up the Benelli piece.

Am I "competitive"? Hell no... but man, I sure do have fun!

Cheers,

C

Personally, I like a pistol grip stock. I took the stock off of my M2, and replaced it with a Mesa Tactical pistol grip. Now, I think I have about the perfect shotgun. The conversion to pistol grip allowed me to master the "weak hand" loading technique. My M2 has a 26" barrel, and I could not keep the angle correct for weak hand loading because the gun did not balance well... After the switch, I can control the gun better.

I went through this myself, and chose to keep the gun and set it up like I wanted a little at a time. I now have a lot of extra parts I will have to try and sell, and an absolutely stupid amount of money into it. If I could do it over again, I would sell the gun and buy an M2 that is closer to my desired configuration (non pg stock and longer vent-rib barrel). But if you're just trying to have fun and don't care about every miniscule equipment advantage, you have a great running shotgun that will get the job done.

This was my thinking as well, and I had bought this gun right so i looked on line and found a guy wanting one and will be selling it to him in the morning. I didn't make much on the deal but came out pretty good. I am going to Houston tomorrow , found a 24" barrel set up like I want and will purchase it. This should work out the best for me.

Thanks for the input guys, there is a shoot this weekend at CCC Multigun in Millican, about 20 min. from my house, and if the Nordic tube extender comes in, I should be good to go. Can't wait!