Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 revolvers

Dragon11

Would certainly work to get you going. A few years ago the NRA ran a nostalgia match as a warm up for the Bianchi Cup. Many used 38Special revolvers and quite a few ran 45ACP 1911 guns. My own load was the 185gr SWC Match bullet at about 750fps. Well above the minimum of 120 power factor, lead on the mover was a bit out, but we had great fun.

To get the best out of the match using a smaller calibre handgun is where you will end up. But if you shoot the 625 well, know the loads, can manage the extra recoil over 38Cal and know your aiming points for the loads to 50Y you will certainly enjoy the match.

Shoot it first and see how you go.

I have been shooting IPSC for a long time, two years ago I started shooting revolver in USPSA/IPSC and really enjoy it. I would like to shoot other matches with revolver also, and was thinking about shooting PPC or Bianchi Cup, but thought Bianchi would be more fun. I primarily shoot my 625, but just recently got a 627 in 38/357, and didn't know if the 8 rounds in the gun wouldn't be allowed in Bianchi. I live in Ohio and Circleville is the only local club I know of thats does a Bianchi type of format. Are there more clubs around that I am not aware of?

Dragon,

The 627 should work nicely and would have several advantages over the 625. Less recoil, shorter lead on the mover, and the extra shots in case of a misfire or short-stroking the trigger. You wouldn't have to go all the way around the cylinder to get back to an unfired round. You'd probably be in Metallic Sight category with that gun unless you decide to "dress it up" and add wings, mover lead and optics. If you use the comp on it, you'd automatically be in Open anyway. I know the 38 Super versions have a screw-on comp, but am not sure if the .38/.357 has that, is the reason I mention a comp here.

There are several AP shooters who use the 686+ and the 627. There is no restriction on the number of rounds in the gun.

The next nearest range that I know of that shoots AP is in Berrien Springs, MI, but I think they only shoot the Regional & State Championship matches in May, the weekend before the Cup. Not sure they have any other events.

Alan~^~

Edited by Alan550

The 625 isn't ideal because your velocity will probably be so low that your lead on the mover is off the paper at 25 yards, and I would guess you have a 5" gun, so the short sight radius isn't ideal.

That said, I started with a .45 (1911) and stuck with it for about 2 years before switching to .38 spl (627 then 686+). If a 625 is what you have, then use it to learn the game. After you understand all the tradeoffs, then start to think about upgrading your equipment.