Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using 650 and X-Small Powder Bar

Using a new Dillon 650 press (1 week old) fitted with the X-Small powder bar, how small a load can I expect using N310 and N320 powder? The Dillon website says .5 grains (powder not specified) is possible, the smallest load that I can achieve is 1.6 grains, my preferred load for a .32 S&W Long target load is 1.3 grains of N310 but I have been unable to achieve it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the X-small powder bar but if it has the same design as the small and large powder bars but just thinner you can reduce the powder cavity by doing the following. File back the 90 degree corners of the adjustment bar that the adjusting bolt moves to match the angle of pointed cavity in the black bar which holds the adjustable bar. By doing so the volume of the powder cavity will be lessened.

PM me if you need a more detailed description of the modification.

Pat

I'm not familiar with the X-small powder bar but if it has the same design as the small and large powder bars but just thinner you can reduce the powder cavity by doing the following. File back the 90 degree corners of the adjustment bar that the adjusting bolt moves to match the angle of pointed cavity in the black bar which holds the adjustable bar. By doing so the volume of the powder cavity will be lessened.

PM me if you need a more detailed description of the modification.

Pat

Thanks for your suggestion Pat, the X-small powder bar doesn't have the V shaped cavity it is just a square end with a radius in each corner (you will find a photo on the Dillon website), it is the radii that is fouling the adjustable block that appears to be causing the problem. I think filing to remove or reduce the radii will solve the problem but I wanted to check first if anybody else had this problem or I may have had a faulty component.

Dazza,

The radius cut on a very small quantity of extra small powder bars was incorrect. It should be a 1/8 radius, but a tool broke and a few were cut with a 1/4 radius before it was caught. We sorted them out the best we could, apparently we missed one. Please contact us for a replacement bar, otherwise feel free to use a file to modify the radius so the insert closes more.

• 2 weeks later...

Dazza,

The radius cut on a very small quantity of extra small powder bars was incorrect. It should be a 1/8 radius, but a tool broke and a few were cut with a 1/4 radius before it was caught. We sorted them out the best we could, apparently we missed one. Please contact us for a replacement bar, otherwise feel free to use a file to modify the radius so the insert closes more.

Thank you for your information, I have checked the radii and they are to spec. My apologies for the delay in replying I have only just been able to test alternate loads to work around the problem and that seems to be the way to go. I don't believe in modifying components unless it is absolutely necessary, but will modify the radii if the alternate loads in the long term prove to be unsuccessful.