Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Px4 FS leading

Art Yeo

I shot about 250 rds of 9mm Montana Gold (MG) 115gr FMJ powered by 4gr of BullsEye and when I cleaned the barrel today, I saw quite a bit of leading which my regular bore brush cannot remove.

Had to resort to ChoreBoy on brush.

Anyone seen this before? I do not think the 4gr of BullsEye is overpowering the bullet, do you? Please be reminded the MG FMJ have open base and lead is exposed at the bottom. I'd expect super high velocity and magnum pressure can certainly melt the lead but 4gr of BullsEye?

• 2 weeks later...

I shot about 250 rds of 9mm Montana Gold (MG) 115gr FMJ powered by 4gr of BullsEye and when I cleaned the barrel today, I saw quite a bit of leading which my regular bore brush cannot remove.

Had to resort to ChoreBoy on brush.

Anyone seen this before? I do not think the 4gr of BullsEye is overpowering the bullet, do you? Please be reminded the MG FMJ have open base and lead is exposed at the bottom. I'd expect super high velocity and magnum pressure can certainly melt the lead but 4gr of BullsEye?

Bullseye and 9mm are not a happy couple. Bullseye has a very fast pressure curve and small diameter lead bullets generally do not do well with that, particularly if you are using commercial bullets with a thick waxy (parafin rich) lube that really is not very good at all.

That said, check the bore diameter and bullet diameter to make sure they are a good fit.

Undersize bullets give severe leading.

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with Beretta 9mm barrels is that they run groove diameters of almost .358". Most commercial cast bullets are about .356". My belief is you just had a lot of hot gas blowing by the bullet, cutting Lead off it and depositing it in the bore.

Bullseye works well in .38 Special, and in .45 acp. No matter how many rounds you load, the level in the measure never seems to go down. What I don't like about it is that it is dirty, and it is easy to double charge powder with it, because you use so little. I like a powder that just about fills the case, so I can easily see if there is none, or a double charge.