Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving Finger To The Trigger

dbagwell

I've been practicing some dry fire drills and I noticed that as I draw from my holster I noticed myself moving my finger to the trigger as I'm extending my arms toward the target, just before I acquire my sight picture. I would like to correct this now if it's a bad habit. So my question/concern is whether or not it's acceptable to get my finger on the trigger before I'm completely on target and ready to shoot?

So my question/concern is whether or not it's acceptable to get my finger on the trigger before I'm completely on target and ready to shoot?

If it's not on the trigger by then you are late to the party. In my opinion you are not ready to shoot until your finger is on the trigger. You keep your finger in the guard when you transition from one target to another right?

So my question/concern is whether or not it's acceptable to get my finger on the trigger before I'm completely on target and ready to shoot?

You keep your finger in the guard when you transition from one target to another right?

Yes, definitely. It certainly feels natural to move my finger into position as I'm taking aim, just wanted to be sure that it wasn't a DQ-able offense.

When I actually had real take-up on my competition gun, I had all of the slack out of the trigger by the time it sounds like you're just starting to engage it. (Once the muzzle was oriented towards the target, my finger was on the trigger face. During press out, I was taking up slack.)

Now that just touching the trigger takes up the slack, I find myself doing the exact same thing that you are-- and my draws definitely aren't slow in the grand scheme of things...

IOW, it sounds like you've naturally arrived at the desired result...